Another Reel Maintenance Thread

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FREESPOOL, Jan 8, 2009.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Anybody know of a site, or videos that show reel mainenance in detail?
    I have a couple Abu's and Penn's that need it. Here in the very near furture they need to be pulled apart, and fixed. Before spring anyways. :wink:
    I bought a kit from Bass Pro with grease, oil, cleaner, swabs, brush and everything for maintaining reels. But I haven't attempted it yet. And good sites on reel upkeep would be great!!
    Sometimes I spend way to much time reading, and learning on how I'm SUPPOSED to do things.... Rather than doing them :smile2: This HAS to be done.

2. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, I took a couple Penn 220 GTO's, and 230 GTO apart. Thank you guys very much for these links. Don't think I would have got them back together without some pictures to help. The little parts diagrams in the booklet the reels come with don't help out to much. :smile2:
    I learned that you don't have to take the WHOLE thing apart to service it. :crazy: There was one little spring that totally drove me nuts getting back together on the first one. The second two, I didn't need to remove it. Thank god! :tounge_out:

Here's a quick question for you guys.
    I've got a new Abu 7000c3i.... Do I need to do anything to it right out of the box? Aside from spooling it and rigging it onto a pole. :smile2: Is it nessesary to disassemble a new reel and lube it up?

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It shouldn't be, no. Just go fishing.

Lemme guess...the dog spring?:wink:

4. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    FS I rarely ever dissasemble reels just keep them out the sand clean the outside and couple 3 dropps of oil once er twice a yr and go-go-go .....They will last specialey them penns:wink:

5. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Actually, it was the eccentric spring. I finally wound up putting the spring in place on the eccentric cam, and screwing the lever on to hold it. And then bent the end of the spring into it's position in the plastic mold. If that makes any sense.
    I don't think I'll be taking that apart again unless something breaks! :embarassed:

6. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Those springs can vanish in a heartbeat, too. That's the trickiest part of Penn reel maintenance...