Another Reason To Move Often!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, May 17, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, this has been an interesting spring I have to say. Daytime temps anywhere from normal, to 10 or 15 degrees below that. Water temps of course have also seen its share of changes! Well, I have always talked about moving, and moving often to fish for active fish! The way things have been here this month I can never speak too highly now on how important it is to move! As you have read earlier, I like to hit numerous spots in a nights time, trying to not only cover more area and present baits to the active feeding fish, but to see how much gas I can burn at nearly 4 bucks a gallon:wink:. Now back to a serious note. The spring usually brings rising waters as in levels, but also temperatures. I can't remember an April and May to this extent though. Water temps have been dictated from the upper 60 degree range to the 57 degree range. So I know alot are wondering whats this do? Well, after a long winter of these fish being slow feeders due to the cold water period, these fish are ready to feed of course, and continue their yearly cycles that include pre-spawn, spawn, etc. When we have weather systems like we have the last two months, it can make fishing very unpredictable and almost frustrating trying to target these fish. They are there and biting, but the numbers are lower from my experience. A flat here, a flat there, a couple channels in a known spot to produce double digits. These fish are really being confused now! Water temps may climb 3-5 degrees during the day, but cold nights plummet them back down again. This leaves these fish in a sutle not aggressive mode like usual. They will eat, but are greatly influenced by the frontal systems and barometeric pressure changes. So how do you counter it? My advise is when things get and the way they have been, these fish not only don't move much in search of food, including the channel cats that are known scavengers to go look for food more often that a flathead, you need to move often fishing for them one or two fish that are in a feeding mode. Not all fish react the same to these changes. As a whole they are greatly influenced, but there are still fish that feed even in the worst conditions. You also need to target home targets more than the feeding zones. For example, a riffle may be the prime spot to catch active fish, and still fish them, but the structure areas during this time can be the ticket. These fish hold very close to structure during these times, and the only way to get them to feed is to knock on their door by presenting baits close to them, esp. flatheads! Flatheads don't like chasing baits, they would rather ambush them. Lazy? No, they do often make moves to areas and will chase baits as told, but in times like this, I have had better luck fishing heavy structure areas, and not worrying about the feeding areas they move to. So, remember to move and move often, and possibly more often than that until the weather seems to settle into a normal pattern. Fishing can be tough at times for all of us, but if you play your options correctly, it can be the difference in a no fish night or a fish night! goodluck....rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the great post again Rollo!!!:wink::big_smile:

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Good advice Jason .... :smile2: Garry-

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Great post! I am often guilty of sitting in one spot too long.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    thanks for the post rollo,good info

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
  7. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Rollo
    very good advice.
    Most people do not move enough. I preach this to others and they think when they find a fish they will should sit there all day/night. I take an egg timer with me out on the boat. I set it for 15 minutes if I have had nice bumps i will move it up to 30 minutes. But I rarley fish a place for more that 30 minutes. If you sit in a hole for more and 30 minutes sure you might still catch some fish but by moving more and more often you catch alot more fish. The hardest part is pulling up anchore when you know you have been catching fish.
    Yesterday I was out on the river with a friend and it drove him crazy. We hooked up on a 24 pound flathead and still would be getting some bumps and I would say real them up lets move. It drove him crazy.
    Like I was telling him at the end of the day if we didnt move you might have caught only 1 one those nice fish but by the end of the day i put him on 2 flats in the 20's and 5 around 15. Sure you burn A LOT MORE GAS but it is worth it to the die hard catfisherman.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Rollo for sharing some good info. Appreciated. I set for 30 minutes then move.

9. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    GREAT INFO.when i set up shop i'm there for the night:sad2:.but when i get my boat i'm sure to be a runner!

10. One Legged Josh

One Legged Josh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good info thanks. Im a runner also and it drives my partners nuts!

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the posts, this has been the crazyiest month of May I can remember. I got a report today from a buddy, that the river temps. have really plummeted ! I didn't make it out, due to work and my wifes grandmother is in the hospital with some problems. Family comes first, maybe things will straighten around soon and I will be back at em! goodluck to all of you though......rollo

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I'll tell you what, you movers are men! I just have trouble yankin in the anchor and resettin the dang thing! Last time out I moved 5 times and thought I was crazy!

We'll try it again..... I need some youngsters on the boalt to sling that anchor!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i don't usually sling anything shawn, i pull past and drop and float back some before droppin the back anchor, then when you fire up, pull the back put the jet in gear and allow it to almost hold you there or slowly head upstream as you pull the rope up and anchor. the hardest thing is tying off in structure and current in the front. :roll_eyes: rollo

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Shawn the best way to do it is carry about a mile and a half of anchor rope .... anchor up stream on a tight rope and slowly let the anchor rope out ... you can travel at least mile down stream without having to pull the anchor .. then head upstream pull the anchor and repeat at next area .... :wink::smile2::cool2: Garry-

15. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i like moving also,but since i am bound to shore fishing,moving is hard for a lazy man to do sometimes,gonna get me a little red wagon to haul my fishing gear in,lol

16. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Rollo
    the water temp is back down to 58 and 59 in the pool I was fishing

17. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I bank fish so moving to a new spot is a must. But for some reason us Eastern Pa guys have had alot of luck in the same 2 mile stretch of the river. Water temps here can be 60 during the day and mid 50s at night.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    For some inane reason, I thought we were going to be told that it helps avoid bill collectors and junk mail. LOL. Try to manage my finances where I don't have to worry about a bill collector, but, man oh man, the amount of junk mail I receive. Should be illegal.

19. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Good post Rollo, I too enjoy moving alot, If I haven't boated a fish in the first 25-30 minutes, I'm gone. However, I have revisited a previous hole that I fished earlier in the day. Especially if I noticed alot of fish there the first time. I have had luck doing this as well, you just never know when those fish will "turn-on" and start feeding.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    isn't it funny how many of us give a spot 20-30 minutes? :big_smile: i agree! if you can't fish a prime area through within a timeline, you are missing many fish that could be active somewhere else. I really like the slackwater areas in highwater though either in the creek mouths or the inside bends, fishing baits along the current edges and along the flooded banks in the submerged grass!!! Grass submerged banks and sandbars can be prime for nighttime flats also....rollo