another question

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfish42o, Jun 26, 2008.

1. catfish42o

catfish42o New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    right now im using a zebco 808 reel will that handle river cats? and if not what would you guys/gals recommend?

2. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It will handle a lot of them but not all.I use conventional reels myself.
    Jake

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    they are some tough reels,but your best bet is to get into some baitcasters,like abu garcia 6000's or up.or some good tough spinning reels.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That set up will work fine for most fishing. It really depends on where you are fishing. If the area you are fishing is capable of catching 35 pound and up fish, then there is potential for problems. You will more than likely be able to get a 20-30 pound fish in, but it is going to destroy your pole. Most people don't have a problem with that for a good fish. I know I don't. I would consider trying out the Skakespere tidewater reel. It is a bait cast and you can pick it up for 35 dollars. I really like mine, I have 8 of them and I have had no problems with any of them. There are other people on here who don't like them so much, but they are comparing them to 100 dollar reels.

I have used the 808 myself before switching over. I had a couple fall victim to 15-20 pound fish and I had several fish that I was unable to bring in.

So I guess the "reel" question is: What kind of fish is your water body capable of producing?

5. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The best reel is the one that your posket book can handle. Reels are one of the main part of your tackle and you can spend a whole bunch and still not like it so I would start out like Brother Hilljack the tidewater and there is a bunch on here that use them it's all about how much money do you want to spend 50.00 or 500.00 dollars

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I agree, I'd start with an Abu 6000, around $60 and it will last a lifetime. Seen many fish over 50 & 60lbs and even a 77.3lb Flattie brought in with them. Just make sure to keep them clean, well oiled and greased and you'll love them. I have 1 6000 thats over 8 years old with the exception of 1 new pawl and another soon to be put on($4-6 bucks and easy to replace) will last forever. I also have a 6000c thats older(I think) and have done nothing but cleaned it.
    Good Luck!!!

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I agree with most everything that has been said, but most of all stick with what you can afford and are comfortable with.