Another question regarding 6500 & baitclicker

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by WaltonsMountain, Sep 2, 2009.

1. WaltonsMountain

WaltonsMountain New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    So i'm still learning about the Abu 6500c3 and had a question regarding the baitclicker.... tonight was the first night I used it and it started out good w/ a nice channel on the first castout. But then I proceeded to miss 4 good hits throughout the rest of the night. Each time the cat took off, baitclicker was goin' wild and free spool was engaged (obviously). I would go to set the hook and NOTHING.

My question is, when the fish has your bait and is runnin' and the baitclicker starts going crazy do I want to DISENGAGE the free spool w/ a quick turn of the handle and THEN set the hook? Or should I just go right ahead and set it while my line is going out?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

Well I am no expert, first I would ask what hook type are you using?
    A Circle hook, you want to keep the line tight and no clicker, this way the pole can load up (bend)
    And the fish hook it shelf.

The kahle hook work the other way.

3. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    i'm not using circle hooks

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There is a good chance that the runs you were missing was not catfish.

I have had turtles and Gar pick baits up like that and run like crazy.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You could try smaller baits and smaller hooks, sometimes they are just very small cats that are not swallowing the bait. I think that when this is happening you most likely will miss them regardless of hook type and clicker though. I agree with Jack I think they might have been gar or turtles.

6. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    if your using hooks other than circle hooks, give the reel a quick once around with the handle and place your thumb on the spool (very important) and then rip them jaws. once you have a fish on, then you can disengage the clicker. when you get used to where it is at on the reel and all of that, you will start disengaging and engaging it without thinking about it. if your still missing it then the advice in front of me is probably more in line with what is happening.

7. WaltonsMountain

State:
    Nebraska
    I didn't know about placing the thumb on the spool....what is this for? I thought there was already anti-reverse w/ these reels....

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ryan to answer your question,YES you want to disengage your free spool before you set the hook because if you don't with the free spool activated there is No tenshion on the line and hook to get it set!!! These catfish have a tough mouth and with no tenshion it won't work,so always engage the spool before setting the hook.I hope this answers your question. Now go stick a hog.Good Luck,J.D.

9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    The anti-reverse doesn't work when it's in free spool.:big_smile:

Placing your thumb on the spool will basically lock it. Long enough to set the hook, then you you crank and lock the spool.

Just remember to turn off the clicker after the hook-set. Otherwise, it makes an annoying noise during the fight.:big_smile: