Another Question on flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The Wissahickon Creeks empties into the the Schuykill River. I read in previous post that a creek mouth that empties into a river is a good spot for flatheads. My question is, should I only fish this area when the river level is high or should I fish this place anytime??? And where do I exactly throw my bait? by structure? the creek mouth? deep holes? I have never fished this place for flatheads but want to try. Thank you for your time.

Tan

2. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well,this is true,it should be a good feeding ground for them,all the places that you stated is where you want to fish for them,struture because they like to hide around logs,rocks, bridge supports,etc.when something intysing comes along they swoop out and grab it,holes they love to lie in and bed,at the mouth of the feeder creek about 60 feet out,maybe closer in depending on when you are fishing,and how deep the water is.TRY THEM ALL I WOULD SAY!use whats around you if you can,shad,bluegill,4 to 6 inches,or bigger depending on how big of a flat you are seeking to catch.ive caught them on live & dead bait,shad works best for me.i find that catching fresh bait with my cast net around where im fishing from is better than frozen or store bought stuff,give em what they are use to,if they are there they will come.:big_smile: GOOD LUCK!!

3. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    oh yeah,I would say anytime there,never know,Ive caught them at all times of the day here,but that is here on HIGH ROCK LAKE,NC.Maybe differnt there.try some night fishing, morning hours fishing,late afternoon too.It seems the bigger ones hit at night but ive hooked a 35lber at mid afternoon in late july in about 25ft of water.GOOD LUCK!!

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would try the mouth of the creek in the evening and morning hours to get them coming and going, and in the creek at night. Use live bluegill or shad cut whole or live. Fish structure and areas in between log jams, as they will travel between hunting spots to get their prey at night. It has been said that they will travel in a straight line from where they live during the day to their hunting grounds at night.

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I fish a place like that on the Neosh River and it seems like no matter what time im out there the fish are always setten and waiting for bait off of that creek. where the creek flows into the river/lake there should be a deep hole right below the mouth. I would say that would be the place to fish in the middle of the day. At night you might even go up the creek a little bit because when it gets dark them flats will go up the shallow creek to hunt. If it is up I would say anywhere around it would be a good place to cast. When the water goes up like that the flats are usually realy agressive and are all over the place.

:0a26:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    just have to fish it n see blacky. all creeks arent created equal. i have one creek that flows all the time and produces most time(at night). another creek produces BIG fish but only after a real good rain and while its rising! that creek is just a large field run-off. im guessing they only use it when its producing food. you will get to know the local creeks and when its time to fish or read on the B.O.C. lol

i would sure try it first when the creek is flowing!

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    One last question guys,

YesterdaY, I saw a 43 inch flatty landed below a dam. I always thought that the flatheads didn't like heavy current flow. Also, How do I keep from getting snagged on the bottom? If I use a slip-float, do I present the bait on the bottom or do I keep it a foot or so off the bottom??

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Where two streams meet are great places for Flatheads. My suggestion is to try a couple different tactics till you finally find them. Fish live baitfish either right at the mouth of the creek where the current is strong or the tailend of where it dumbs in where the banks widen up and the current slows some and starts to swurl. Also, if there is cover close to shore, like logs, stick ups, boulders, grass, and the water is 3+ ft deep, try throwing your line around there some. Good luck!

9. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    blacky,with a slip float id keep it about a foot to 1 1/2 ft off bottom.I mostly fish dead bottom and in the river, hang ups are frequent,I rig mine with the wieght on bottom & my steal leader about a foot 1/2 above it.I Put a small cork or bobber about the size of a marble on about half way up my leader,this helps keep the leader up off the bottom a few inches,when i get ready to check my bait or recast i jerk upward and at the same time i reel in real fast,holding my rod up.with the bobber or cork on, it helps keep it from dragging across bottom and surface up quicker.this works for me pretty well from snagging,but if its big and youve thrown right over it not much you can do but take the loss and not cast there anymore.unless your in a boat then you may have a chance to save it.but anyway this is my way,the guys here will give you more info and suggestions.GOOD LUCK!!:smile2:

10. cathunter28

cathunter28 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    hello all i have no clue on what loading the reel mean never hear it before. i have asked guys around here an they dont even know, so thanks for the help.

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Most of the Flathead fishermen I know around seem to like fishing below dams and do real good. I like creek mouths best but both seem to work. Try different spots, use live bait, don't set the hook as soon as he hits. I do much better letting them run with the bait a little. Remember, set the hook hard enough to tear the hook out of the bait and into the Flathead.
    Good Luck!

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    blacky your rite, they dont like to set in the heavy current. in those heavy current areas though there are current seams and eddies. in these slack water areas they sit and wait for an unlucky smaller fish. thats why i like to fish high water,it concentrates fish for you. i get most tight to the bank when its up. dont go stomping around though or they will leave!!!! remember they are preditors,not scavengers.

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    During normal water levels fish the mouth area, at high water, fish father up the creek about a 100-200 yards.

If no luck, Try the mouth area at different times throughout the night and early mornings on the down current side of the mouth.

14. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Any/all of the spots you'r talking about should show you something depending on river conditions, time of day/evening, bait, presentation. Comming upstream to the mouth of the creek, I'd rub the bank looking for the deepest water, fastest moving water with some kind of rock or log(s) protruding from the bank into the river. If you have structure there, slip above it and cast just above it, let the current introduce your bait naturally. Keep a grip on the rod if it's your first attempt.
    Don

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I really appreciate all the help guys. That's why I joined the forum because you guys know your sh*t.

Fished Monday night and tonight at the base of the dam. Lost alot of tackle. NOTHING!!!! But will try this pool below the dam (there is no current in the pool, about maybe 7 ft deep at high tide, and hold alot of panfish). So I should try that because the water is slack????

I'm not gonna give up!!!! The reason I fish this area is because I saw a 30lber caught Sunday night on a stormshad.