another question from the newbie...lol

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfish42o, Jul 8, 2008.

1. catfish42o

catfish42o New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    I finally got off my duff and went and bought a rod/reel for the river. i use for the lakes a zebco 808 reel and a boss hawg rod.But i was told it wouldnt do for the river lol i didnt figure it would so i got a Berkley big game power series rod medium/heavy 8ft. and the reel is a shakespeare tw30L baitcaster.

Attached Files:

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    That ought to work. I use the shakespear tidewater 30L also. They are a good reel for the money. I just bought my second one today myself and bought a 7' ugley stik cat rod med hvy action. I put 50lb test spider wire braid on mine.

What line are you putting on yours???

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    That will gettem....congrats.

:big_smile:

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,that looks like a good setup

5. Powerman2442

Powerman2442 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice. I've been using my 6+ year old Zebco 33 reel with Quantum Lite rod. Seems to be good for all around fishing. Been to lakes, ponds, rivers, etc. and don't have much of a problem. Usually problems arise in rivers when a big cat gets a hold of it. I've been tinkering with the drag a bit trying to get it loose enough but not to loose. They keep snapping my line though. :angry:

The line is also fairly old as well I know the line is at least 6 years old. Trying to figure out what brand of line I want to replace it with. I know everyone has their own brand they always use. Also debateing on investing in a Shakespeare rod/reel combo at Wal*Mart. My cousin's husband has two different ones (same kind but different colors) that he uses and I like the size of the rod, the feel of it, etc. Plus every rod that I buy from now on has to come apart to transport easier. Is there anything wrong with rods that pull apart? Anyway, good luck with your new setup.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would swear by the tidewater. that reel has done me very well. I have 8 of them!

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Now your ready to take on the big'um now good luck

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Brien,

By the way welcome to the BOC and good luck fishing