Another question concerning my 89 Jeep xj

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by daystarchis, Aug 21, 2006.

1. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I try to start my jeep, but it just clicks once anf thats it. Like the battery is dead. My batt has juice and I tried a batt I know is good. When I turn the key, and it cliks, the interior light (dome) turns on and then turns out. If it is my starter, wouldn't my lights still come on? I also notices my ground from my batt to starter looks to have melted a lil to the wire. Any ideas what could be wrong?

2. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    YEs your light Should still come on is your post clean and are they good and tight ?

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    If your wire looks like it got hot that probably means there is corrosion down in the insulation which increases the resistance which increases the heat and makes even more corrosion. I would replace the line from the batt to starter and clean the terminals real good. I also would check all the grounding points to include the motor, frame, body because I fixed a few things with mine by either adding or replacing my grounds. You can never have enough ground!

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    If your head lights come on bright that shows the bat is up. try ceaning your posts on the bat.
    Bill

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Post and cables look clean. Thanks for the advice so far.....:smile2:

6. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    If you are sure your battery is fully charged and all your connections are good here is a simple test. Turn on headlights and turn key all the way to start while having someone watch your headlights. If they go extremly dim or all the way out this indicates an extreme amp draw on your starter. You said a cable looked like it had overheaded, correct ? This can indicate a high amp draw. You have been having a heating problem also, correct ? Remove all spark plugs and try cranking the engine over. Possible you might be leaking some water into one or more cylinders. This causes a hydrstatic lock and your starter might not be able to overcome the lock-up caused by the water ! Hope this helps.

7. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    robb,

soundls like it is time to lift the hood and slide a new trk under it...lol,

no clue what the problem is. just had to give you a hard time.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    LOL!!!! I would Tim, but I was giving the jeep to my gaughter to drive in and out to school and to work:confused2: She wants a new car as well, but if daddy aint driving one, then kids arn't as well. LOL!!!!! How you been Tim?

9. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    OK, I went out this morn, and turned the head lights on. They were bright as hell and when I cranked it over, it just went "click" and the lights went totally out:sad2: Whats weird, is the jeeps been driving since the over heating. Drove it bout 2 weeks i recon.

10. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    One more suggestion from me. Take the starter off and take it some place to be tested. That way you will know if it is or if it aint your starter. A short in the starter can dim your lights.
    Bill

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Would Try Using Another Battery, I Have Seen Many That Would Hold A Surface Charge Good Enough To Power Up Lights, Etc. But Couldn't Handle The Amperage Draw (Load) Of The Starter.

Your Local Autozone Etc., Should Be Able To Load Test The Battery For You. HTH, Elliot

12. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    check and clean all engine grounds and starter could be shorted at the armature or solenoid,the melted wire is from heavy amp draw.,also if the car was extremly overheated and got anti-freeze in the crankcase engine might be locked up

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    The jeep has been running fine for bout 2 weeks since the thermastate was changed. How many grounds should I check? Or how many grounds are there? Could the crank case lock up 2 weeks after the over heating was fixed? Thak you all for your replys. I am not a mechanic and really appreciate the fast response from ya'll.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, what are the symptoms of a bad voltage regulator? I know I had some weird problems one time and found out that was the problem with mine. But I'm having problems with 'sometimers' now and I can't remember the symptoms.:embarassed:

st

15. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

16. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I'd check the selenoid.

17. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    As far as how many grounds should you have...... you can never have enough! HEHEHE

Seriously. Jeeps are notorious for not being grounded well. You can solve alot of problems by making sure that your grounding system includes, engine block, frame, body, battery. If you have to add them do it.

The heat build up from trying to start can expand metal to the point where it looses connection and continuity.(sp) After it cools off you will have lights again! Does this sound familure? I might be totally off base but it is a cheap thing to try.

18. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Robb,

Does your jeep have the starter solenoid on the fender well close to the battery? If so you may need to replace it. If I'm not mistaken jeep has the same type of solenoid as a Ford on it.

They go out pretty often on a Ford, I just replaced one on my truck again. They have a tendency of just clicking when you turn the key over, and thats all it will do.

I would take a look and see if you have one like I described, if so replace it. They are fairly cheap and your main wires hook up to it also...

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

20. tigger_tat_55

tigger_tat_55 New Member

State:
    cali
    so far so good robb,

will be home late oct. i am ready to be done.