another post for yall, setting the drag on your reel?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, May 24, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    we brushed on this a little bit, but knowbody realy read the post, in the blue forum, ok, wen i have my line in the water, how hard should it be to pull the drag off my reel, i dont wont them despooling me but i dont want my line snaping, whats the commen seeting for 20 to 60 pounders , should i have to put some mussle into it to pull out the drag or just make it come out with a decent pull , or is there a methed to do this, ive had it to tight and had 50 snap, had it to loose and got snagged,this is more for flatheads, becouse nobody awsers in the blue forum like they do here

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Tie a 10 lb Barbell onto your line, lift it off the ground, I set mine to where you can lift it up a foot or so and then it will fall back down. I got this information from local MS River cat guide James Patterson.

3. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Also when you do this be sure and do it with your rod and reel. When you set it by tearing drag with your hand straight off the reel you aren't allowing for the tention of the rod. and when you lift up the weight it should slowly pull back down.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i got u good advice there bro, thanks a milliun, i think this could be tighter with 60 pound test , but ill keep that methed, in fact i got a ten dumbel,

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

To set a drag, use a scale, hold the rod and reel at 45-degree angle, you will need help. I use a work bench and one of my Driftmaster holders.
    Now I set the tension to 33% of the breaking line strength.

If your using 50lb test, it would be set at 16.5lb. a ABU 6500 will only go to 15lbs, but a ABU 7000 will go higher.
    With 60 pound test it would be set at 19.8 you can get buy with a flat 20lbs.
    Use good line, not cheap line :wink:

Hope this helps

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont use a scale or anything...I set my drag tight to where it is very hard to pull line off the reel by hand...Then as soon as I have a fish on depending on how hard it is pulling I losen the drag if needed.

On a big fish I tighten, and losen the drag several times during the fight.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

When I,m expecting fish between 20-60,I,d be using 80 or 100# braid and I,d have my drag locked down.They,ll still be able to take line with the drag locked down.Pray like hell your pole don,t break.:wink:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    After each fishing trip....I loosen up the drag on my reels. So when going fishing each drag has to be re-set. I kinda just tighten up the drag until it feels right to me and adjust the drag if needed while fighting a fish. I tend to keep my drag a little loose and tighten if needed on a big fish.:cool2:

9. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill stick with the dumbel, thing, until i get a rod that wont break, and 80 pound test, lol, not gonna chance it, i think 300 yards of mono cajun with the dumbel will do it for a 50 pound blue, , i like the hore em methed but, i need a better rod, and some 80 pound test, , i wont put it on my 100 doller reels thats a good open face tactic, lock it down and hold on, good methed, for cheaper walmat spinner reels,u might vruin it but u got a good fish, and i will be using that tactic wen i get some good rods,