Another poll - What fights harder carp or catfish?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by countrycat15, Apr 3, 2006.

1. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    hay guys,im just curiouse about what every body thinks.so heres my quistion,what do u guys thinks fights harder, carp or catfish?

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well out of my 2 biggest, 5 pound carp has nothing on a 40 pound shovelhead. lol

3. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Are We Talking Equal Weight Of The Fish Or Just The Fact That They Both Fight Hard For Their Size?

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think carp fight harder then channels, but flatheads pull twice as hard.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Both fish have a different kind of fight. Carp will just burn your reel with quick bursts, while cats both channel and flatheads will look to dig towards the bottom and try and get you around stuff.

6. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I would say catfish. The carp that I have got only put up a fight for a few minutes and then it is just pulling in dead weight. But a catfish will fight to the end and then once you get it in on land or boat it still will try to put up a fight.

7. explayer

explayer New Member

State:
    Tucson AZ
    pound for pound catfish

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Carp have a burst of energy that will cut through the water like a jet. The Cats on the otherhand will give the feeling of a Runaway freight that you can not stop. They will make you hold on sometimes until that train can be slowed for moment. A large Carp will run in one direction for a couple of moments and then the other. A Cat will mostly run in one direction and will be able to turn once that initial run has been finished. The power of each of these fish is a RUSH that makes you keep trying to get one on your line. I say fish of Equal weight will have the CARP of smaller sizes giving the better fight. Once they are larger, the Cats will provide a better fight. JMHO!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

9. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Gotta agree with Hoppy here. Smaller carp fish better than bigger ones. Bigger carp are good for a few screaming runs but the fight of bigger cats is more persistant throughout.

10. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Ive caught both fish and Id say pound for pound a 10lb carp will fight harder and longer than a 10lb cat, and like Hoppy4 said they make these extremely powerfull drag singing runs that is unbeliveable, but both are fun to catch and even to watch being caught

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yep, i have to agree. a 10lb carp will fight forever!

12. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'd say that carp, hands down, fight harder than Catfish.

13. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    On a fly reel carp does but then the bigest carp i got on a fly line was 23# and cat was 7#

14. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    On "sizziling runs" that make make your heart race I would say the Carp but for pure "brute strength" and "slow motion" power, it has to be the Catfish.

15. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hardest to find: 30lb carp
    Biggest line stripper: 20lb carp on the first run
    Tug of War: 30lb flathead
    Hardest fighter under 10lbs: Carp
    Over 30: Catfish (between 10 and 30 it goes both ways, if we are talking river carp then a catfish loses, placid pond carp, I give the nod to the catfish)
    Hardest to net and/or land: Carp, I can grab a big cat with my hands
    Hardest fighter near the net: Catfish, they spook when they see me on the bank, carp are spooked when they are hooked and eventually wear down
    Hardest fighter on the actual dry land: GRASS CARP, they fight harder on land than water, and they crap on you.
    Smartest: Carp
    Most Likly to run you into a snag: Carp head for it from my experience.
    With all that said the best fighter is : The one that got away:crying: .

It is hard to choose between the 2. For action give me the catfish, for a challenge a big carp in pressured water. The hardest fight I have ever had on R&R was an 18lb common carp in a swift current. 30lb power pro peeling, a 15 minute fight, on an 8 foot rod. The big cats dig in and fight on the bank, the carp fight the whole way. I may have to go fishing today and see if I can get a clearer answer, seems like a good excuse to me.

16. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    mcwrestler, I think that your point of view has credence! I know that a Carp will make the initial runs and slack off a bit, but they also make last minute lunges at the net or shore. This when you are not ready can pull the hook out of it's mouth. It can also break a line or the tip of your rod if the drag is not set correctly. Now with Catfish, I have found that they have that strong pulling power that continues throughout the fight. They will find a hanger to get behind or around and hope that the line breaks or the hook gives. If you are able to pull it away from these obsticles, you will be able to bring the fish in most of the time. The rod you use and the line with terminal tackle will work for you or against you at these points. JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4