Another plug question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by malaki, May 21, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    what kind of plug do you use for a small aluminum boat? it has a bolt with rubber washers on the inside and out but i,m not sure its working very well. what do you guys use??

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ther drain hole on alum. boats, I believe, is about 3/4" diameter. I'd head for Walmart and buy an expandable plug that will go from about 5/8" to 7/8". That failing, I'd probably get some waterproof sealant and seal that sucker up.

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Many can be tightened or loosened to adjust as they wear with time.Sand seems to be the main culprit in most areas,Some will "freeze up"and can not be adjusted.The last that I bought at Wal-Mart were about a dollar more for the stainless ones,which are harder and last a lot longer than the aluminum.I like the T handle as they screw in to tighten after you insert them.They do stick out more and things tend to snag on them.Most of the flip up handle ones can be correctly adjusted,inserted and flipped up out of the way.If your tube gets messed up for some reason,SOMETIMES IF you have enough room,you can remove the old tube with a Dremal tool and replace it with one for a Jon boat type baitwell,that will screw togeather.I have done this twice.FIRST make SURE that you have enough room.Luck,peewee-williams

4. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Try a T-handle drain plug made by Attwood or Sierra, you can pickem' up at Wallyworld or any marine store...:big_smile:

5. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    it doesnt have a tube, just a hole. lol. i might have to plug it up and relocate with a tube. theres not much room below the 1/2" hole thats there now. its just a 12 foot rowboat, very thin aluminum.