Another paylake post

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by flathunter, Jul 14, 2009.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I brought this up in the past, but thought it would be a good time to seek your replies....I dont want to see paylakes closed, I just want them to stock farm raised catfish, and not take our trophy fish from public waters...I dont think that is gonna happen.

Again I have said it before, but there is something like 40 paylakes withing an hr drive of my house.

What if these lakes were all shut down, would the patrons stop fishing?

Or would our waters be even more crowded by the former paylake fishermen.

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Jars of money gone for biggest fish?

Fishing ecology totally changed, no massive catfish grouped in a small area?

With the principal motivators removed, human nature dictates it would be replaced with something that would indicate those rewards could be achieved again, called PDE, "Primary Driver Emotion"..

Whatever got a person there, once removed, would be substituted with something that could possibly provide a similar payback or PDE.

Maybe some of the below would work...

Scratch offs at the Moose Club

UFC

Lotto Tickets

Bingo Halls

WWF

etc..

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009

3. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What Paul said:wink:

4. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think if you took away the potential to catch a "trophy" fish and more importantly win a lot of money paylakes would lose 75% of their patrons. I think of those 75% maybe 25% would fish rivers and lakes and the rest would do something not related to fishing. When I hear people talk about paylakes around here they don't seem to care about the fish much at all just the money.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Yep, everybody I know that fishes them goes for the 1 thing.....$$$$ They don't give a crap about the fish, just the possibility of winning $$$. You could stock them with carp and have jackpots & prizes and they'd go.....Wait, thats a good idea. Open up a pay pond with only carp in it.:confused2::roll_eyes::smile2:

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    They would just have to work a little harder to catch fish like spending time gathering bait instead of using hot dogs, worms, and chicken livers. They would also probably have to trek and walk to get to spots instead of driving up and pulling out the lawn chair.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You could say some of the same things about fishing in the river and tournaments.
    If the money wasn't there how many would continue to catfish?

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That's what most people show up on the weekends are about is the jars! Not against a PP at all just the size an the limits they enter into these over crowded ponds. Not withstanding the amount that dies all the time.

9. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    so that is what the pay lakes are all bout isthe $$$$$$$$$ so if you enter into a jars it is gambling so you would need a gambling permit to do that cause that is gambling of a on fish :smile2::smile2::smile2: caniso have one and river boats have gabmling permits:angry::angry::angry: so they are stealing are public and have people gamble on them that is not fishing

10. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    i think if they were no more pay lakes more people would be hitting th river!! i went to a pay lake one time before i found out there were 50lb. fish in my own river!! i only went for the trophy fish not the $$$!!! i only caught a 14lb. fish anyway, was very disapointed! i caught a 51.9lber. in the maumee river right here in my own backyard!!if i knew i could get trophy fish in my own river i would'nt of hit the pay lake in the first place!! or if i had known what i lerned on here!!!

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If someone really did want paylakes shutdown it would probably be easier to raise complaints about the gambling aspect of them then it would the fishing aspect. You say the word gambling and people get worked up and feel they have a moral obligation to get it shutdown.

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    your not lieing, they been trying to get cousinos passed here in toledo for a few years now with no luck!!

13. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    In Wisconsin we have trout ponds for all the tourists to fish in. They are along the Interstate Highways going north :+) As far as I know these are the only kind of pay lakes in the state.

14. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    lucky you!! here in ohio its huge catfish!!

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That's what we need more of here in Ohio (Trout).

16. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I honestly think that if they closed down paylakes 90% of the guys that fish them wouldnt fish the lakes and rivers. If they did they would be using paylake baits like they hotdogs and prepackaged bait and we wouldnt have to worry bout them catching fish anyways. Ive been to a couple paylakes when i was alot younger and the guys there i can tell ya wouldnt be caught on the water in a rainstorm or sitting on the water in low 30 degree air temps, Most of them guys dont have a Set or even what you would call a man or even a fisherman. They are all about the money! To talk to one of these guys they think its easy. Ive spent lots of long cold rainy nights on the water and it aint easy. I myself am a fisherman! Them guys are posers!

17. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Sounds easy to just pull up and pull out your gear and fish,people who do that are not fisherman by no means thats crap I've never even heard of that.

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Its bad in ohio. They are even putting in game rooms at these places. Games of chance they call them when the fishing gets slow. You cant even drink beer at these establishments! How much fun is that? LOL!

19. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    exactly,but thats why some people go to them,because they don't want to do the work involved.

i do know for a fact that some people go for the fish and some do not have means to maybe get away to somewhere else.

when i was growing up,we lived about 1 mile from one.my mom worked my dad worked,and was at the bar most of the time out of work.so,i would get someone to drop me off there and i have spent two to three days there at a time.was i worried about making money,no,i was wanting to catch fish.

some of you guys got big opinions and nothing to back it up with either

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  20. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I dont know if your dogging on me LOL about the hotdogs but I would say the majority do not use them at paylakes, if Im not mistaken they like goldfish. I dont paylake but if I did I would not be using hotdogs, these guys know what to use for bait for the most part. I would agree with Kip though I doubt they would lining the rivers/creeks or lakes if the paylakes closed.