Another paint question

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by corklabus, Sep 29, 2009.

1. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I see all these new Bass boats with really bright colors with real large silver or gold metal flakes. I think it looks great. My boat originally had bright ble trim with very small flakes. I'd really like to repaint with the same color in large flakes like the new boats. I'm sure it has clear coat over it, but how the heck do they get the big flakes and what type of paint is it ? Can any autobody shop shoot this stuff ?

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That is gel coat not paint.
    Gel coat is a mold process. The mole is waxed with a mold release agent.
    Then the gel coat is sprayed in the mold. Then the glass is laid.
    When you pop it out the mold the boat has it's finish.

If yours is just faded there are glaze systems to restore it.
    Jamestown Distributors offers one. They aren't real cheap but are alot cheaper then the alternative.

3. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    RATS...... I never suspected gel-coat. Mine is in desparate need of new paint. It's been worked on by previous owners and doesn't even come close to matching in several different places.

I'm wondering if I could get away with a coat of heavy emron and sprinkle glitter in it, then clear coat it real heavy. Any ideas ??

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Imron is a good choice for painting a boat provided you don't leave your boat in the water for more then 3 days or so at a time. Tough paint.
    Prepping would be the pain in the butt.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Several paint companies have that style of flake. I have done several jobs on different vehicles that when done a bass boat would be jealous. The price will be real high though and the average guy would have issues spraying it. Big flakes can be a pain in the butt to get to lay down right.