Another one "Hooked"!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ASASIN, Oct 6, 2006.

1. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    We started out that morning going in blind without knowing where the turkeys had roosted. No problem, I knew the land perfect and knew where they usually roosted. This was the same area where I filmed Gary's hunt for Cabela's Memories in the Field. I stopped and called about 100 yards from where I thought they should be roosted. Bingo, immediate reply from them. We sat up and watched the turkeys pitch into the field. Too much movement everytime one would pitch onto the ridgetop with us and they spooked off. Turkeys 1, us 0. We walked and called without success over the property, so we left to another area I knew held a turkey or two. We busted them up as soon as we got there, getting a perfect break up with turkeys flying into the trees and busting up in every direction. I knew this would be a hunt to remember right here. Almost immediately turkeys started talking. We had turkeys calling and coming to my calling from every direction, but each time he couldn't see to shoot, or moved too much and spooked 'em. Finally a jake comes looking for mamma and at 20 yards I told him to smoke 'em. Well, excitement got the best of 'em and we got a clean miss. No problem, we had ALL day to do this and I wasn't giving up until he was ready to go. We spotted a couple of gobblers from the road and I knew they were in trouble if he could hit one. We put the sneak on 'em and got as close as we could. Traffic from the highway kept them extremely nervous and they wouldn't work to the call that well. I got the dominant gobbler to strut multiple times and finally after some aggressive calling I got a gobble that I thought was behind us. Tylor told me it was the strutter in front of us that gobbled, but I knew it was behind us. So I threw my calling back towards the direction I heard him gobble and sure enough, he gobbled right back at us. It was almost 10 am at this time and it was getting hot quick. We got snuck up to the edge of the field and I got his gun into position facing the direction the gobbler should come from. I called one more time and he gobbled LOUD!!!!!!!!! About that time we could see his tail fan coming just like a spring gobbler. What a way to spoil a youngster on his very first turkey hunt!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!! 25 yards and he layed the smack down on 'em. His head was still up so I got him up quickly and told him to shoot him again. He was breathing so hard and was so excited and worried about the kick of the gun all at the same time that he said, "hold me, hold me!!!!!!!!" LOL!!!!!!!!! I held him and he made a perfect shot and the bird was down!!!!!!!!!!! 20 lb gobbler with a nice thick beard and a great set of spurs!!!!!!!!!!! Let's just say he got spoiled too much on this golden fall hunt. It was one of the quickest fall hunts I've had for gobblers in quite some time. Pictures to follow shortly, hopefully. God bless.

2. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    Here's the picture:[image]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k43/ASASIN777/Tylorandturkey.jpg[/image] God bless.

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
  4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Asasin, wow congrats on a nice bird. Spoil him away before long he'll be to old for it, lol

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    congrats on the kill.cool picture also.

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Great job! Turkey hunting will definitely get your blood to pumping. Now you've got another one hooked!

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Nice bird!! Love seeing young'ns getting hooked!:big_smile: