Another night trip on Tawakoni

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cathog, Jul 19, 2009.

1. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I was supposed to go out last night with a guide friend of mine last night and see if we could pattern the big blues a little better. He called at the last minute and canceled, so I called another buddy of mine, loaded up the boat and we went out. Got plenty of bait in the baitwell in about 5 throws of the net. Action started pretty quickly, boated 3 fish from 5 to 13.5 pounds in the first 20 minutes in 18 to 20 ft of water, before the sun had gone down. Fished that drift for about 1.5 more hours, boated 6 more fish from 5 to 10 pounds. Decided to move across the lake to another one of my favorite drifting spots. Set up on this drift and for a while thought I had made a mistake, no bites for at least 30 minutes. Then rods started going down regular, boated 4 fish from 8 to 29 pounds in about 20 minutes. Moved to another spot even shallower, 4 to 9 ft, caught 3 fish on this drift one small channel and a 8 pound blue and a 10 pound blue. Really nice nite on the water, no bugs and not hot. Got 1 29 pound blue which I am attaching pics of, 14 blues between 5 and 13.5 pounds and one small channel. Going out again tomorrow night with my guide buddy to see if we cant get them patterned a little better.

Attached Files:

• 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      16.1 KB
      Views:
  2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sounds like i need to be abducted and dropped off on the dock

3. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looks like a pretty good evening, I'd say!

4. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Whatever you do, dont get on a roll, lol. :smile2:

5. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sound to me as though you have them figured out pretty darned well! Let me know how your evening trip goes. Good Luck, luke clayton

6. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Hey Luke !!!

Right on !!!!! nice fish, thanks for shareing them, always good to see that some one had a good fishing trip,

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I didn't get to get out tonight, wind blew too hard. Hopefully I can get out tomorrow night and try to get more than one big fish in a trip. Guess I am sounding greedy here, but it is Lake Tawakoni we are talking about.:smile2:

8. SouthernCatdaddy

SouthernCatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I wish i could make it up there some time to fish with you gary I'm still learning the whole drifting deal. Nice fish!

9. mjpotts

mjpotts New Member

State:
    Sulphur Springs Tx
    Sounds like alot of fun. I been trying to get out to tawakoni all day. Waiting on cow to calve. Maybe get out there later this week.

10. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    You know,Guys,you are on to something with this mid summer big blue bite. No reason the big ones won't bite in the summer but as we all know, it's oct- march that is considered trophy cat season. Gary, I spoke with DH last evening and we're thinking week after next, we will do an VERY early morning run for big blues and fish till 9 am.or so.. I will probably stay someplace close to the lake for the evening so I'll be there early... Might just invite another writer that DH knows to come with us!

11. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Luke it sounds like fun. DH will be in Colorado next week, so I will get out as much as I can early in the mornings and see if I can get some of the big blues located in the early mornings. Shouldn't be a whole lot different from the late night trips I have been going on. I have a lot of vacation time at work that I need to take any ways or lose it. Cant think of a better way to take them than fishing LOL. When yall come down hopefully we can put you on some big ones.