Another nice Walnut River flathead catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 25, 2008.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Caught another nice flathead out of the Walnut Friday night/Saturday morning. Nowhere NEAR what Gary "Mr. Flathead" Felkner pulls out each week it seems, but I will take it none the less!:wink::tounge_out:

Not sure why I can't get out of this 35-37lb range, but this is the 5th one in the last 2 years that was right at 36lbs? This one faught the hardest by FAR!! Took about 20 minutes to get him up, and landed by the lip, got the scrapes on the back of my hand to prove it!

As usual, he was released along with the other one I caught that night (about 5#) in the lake across the field from the house. Getting a nice little population over there.:cool2:

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Congrats Jeff. Glad you could finally get out and catch some fish. Was that from the stretch that you grew up on?
    I wonder if one of us needs a new scale. The fish in my avartar went 25 lbs. I want a 30.LOL. I have 3 fish this year that were between 22 and 25 lbs. I thought the last one was bigger when I was pullin him out. I think I will check my scale today. Thats weird.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    good picture and great fish ,and thanks for the story:cool2:

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Congrats Jeff, On The Nce Flatty Thanks For The Story And The Pics:big_smile:.

5. kat king

kat king New Member

State:
    hutchinson,ks
    Congrats Jeff thats a nice flattie hope to get one that size myself this year..Thanks for sharing:cool2:

6. kc river kid

kc river kid New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Congrats Jeff thats a nice flattie :smile2:

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Nice Fish! I'd take that any day.

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice fish! Soon that lake should be an ideal spot for ya!

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

The one in my avetar was 37.6 or something like that, and he was a good 6 inches longer than this one was, but this one was really thick and solid. The one in the avetar is pretty spindley. This one went just under 35, on the same scale, and was almost 40" long, and fat as a tick! I was tying a hook from getting hung up when he hit. My rod was in the rod holder and my first reaction was the boat just hit something, it lurched suddenly to that side. I looked up and the rod was completely doubled over, and it was about all I could do to pull it out of the holder with all the tension he had on it. GOOD TIMES!:roll_eyes:

10. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I need to start rememberin to take measurements. I have a tape but I was to busy tryin to take pics and put him back. Oh well, he was fun and big for where I caught him.
    What stretch were you fishin?

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jeff,

Congrats on another nice flathead, the Walnut has been good to you! I've been wanting to get down that way and camp / fish below Eldorado again, but free weekends have been hard to come by lately. If you ever get a chance to come up this way on a non tournament weekend, give me a hollar and maybe I can show you a place or two on the Kansas.

12. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I feel soooo sorry for ya,...not being able to catch one over 36#s :wink::smile2:
    NICE fish, I'm just jealous, I'd be happy with anything over 20 right now :big_smile:

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    hell of a Flattie, Congrate's.

14. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Congrats on the nice flat. I sure miss fishin my old honey hole. How far below eld. were you fishin?

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Real nice flathead, congrats, thanks for sharing the pics. :big_smile:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Nicee flattie! Congrats!
    Bill in SC

17. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Kyle and Chris,

I was down south by Arkansas City, about 50 yards above the confluence of the Walnut and the Arkansas, on the Walnut end of things. It was a very odd night, the river was dropping fast (Walnut) probably cuz they finally shut the gates at El Dorado, and there were two different currents going on. One side of the Walnut was running south, into the Ark., (like it should be) and the other side was running north, OUT of the Arkansas. Made it a bear to keep the boat still, and I caught him right in the "busy" water where the two currents meet.

Must be kind of what it is like for those guys who get the fish the tidal rivers. I did not have a light of any kind with me, so was fishing from the light of my nav. light on the boat. Made it interesting to tie a hook, let me tell ya!

A little FYI and helpful hint for you all, when you are in a pinch and without a light, a cell phone works pretty good lying in your lap with the backlight on and tying hooks right over the top of it.:smile2:

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Gary, I might just take you up on that, you have no idea how much I would appreciate it. I have been wanting to come up for a weekend and spend some time just running up and down the river finding spots, but just have not had the time in so long.

Not sure why the heck you would want to come down here and fish anywhere, when you have the waters you have available up there.:wink::confused2:

19. leadsinker

leadsinker Member

State:
    Wichita, K
    Congratulations Jeff. Thats a nice flattie :smile2:

20. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff,
    Congrats on an awesome fish! I wish I had the problem of catching just 36lbers! :smile2: