another new fishing pole!

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by River_monster91, Jun 12, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well went and bought another berkley big game series rod. this one too is an 8' med/hev action but i put a little smaller reel on it. the reel is a shakespeare alpha 50 which is a smaller version of what i have on my other big game rod. ive spooled this one with 150yds of 30lb spiderwire. i was debating on getting the 7' rod but its only med. action. i with they made a 7' med/hev action rod.
    but i do like the casting ability and the backbone that the 8' rod had. like ive said before it has enough backbone to bring a big fish out of logjam or any other cover, but yet it is sensitive enought to tell when your getting a bite. they are very good rods and i reccomend them to anyone who wants to start catfishing and dont have alot of money to buy gear. they are only 20 bucks. anyway i cant wait to start fishing the river with them this weekend. hopefully i can get ahold of another big flathead.

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Congrats on the new pole.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on another new one. Hopefully I'll be getting a couple new ones real soon also.....:wink:

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    are you ready for friday

5. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    i was born ready

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the water is just right for a big one and we will take the tent just incase the wheather turns sour on us

7. Creaz93

Creaz93 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Where can I buy one of those, Donnie?

8. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    a berkley big game rod can be bought at wal mart. i know you hear walmart and think of junk, but they are actually really nice rods. you can get the big shakespeare alphas but all they have is the new models they dont have the alpha 50 wich is a little smaller than the alpha.

9. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i'll tell ya what, ive had the big game pole and the tiger combo. i abused the hell out of em both and caught alot of really nice fish on em just the way they came. i still have em both and they still work after 3 years of my abuse. i think $20 is a steal for then "cheap wally world poles" now.

10. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    thats what i say jj. no need spending 100 dollars on a top of the line fishing pole when i can go get a nice fishing pole that does the same thing for 20 bucks. might not be top of the line but i think its better than them big fancy ones.

11. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I bought one for my wife to start out with and within 2 weeks one of the eye inserts came off. We dont use it very much anymore. I think the tip is too flimsy and I dont like the feel of them.They dont work well for my type of fishin. To each his own, good luck with em.

12. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    yeah, ive had tip probs with the big game but duct tape took care of it :smile2: j/k a little tip glue and its good. i dont use em on the Kaw i dont trust em that much. as far as good size eaters in lakes and ponds they are great. i for sure wouldn't recomend em if you are goin for trophy flats or goin on Brad's boat gettin them big blues :big_smile:

13. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Bad thing is is that it wasnt the tip. It was the third eye down. They are great for ponds and small rivers. We use it when there is no current because it has a soft tip. It makes the fight funner, but I wouldnt trust it for anything over 10-15 pounds in current with snags. You can getter a better rod at a bait shop or online for 30 bucks or less, piece of mind! By the way, is there anything that you cant fix with a little Oklahoma chrome.

14. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i agree. how i got em was when i wa in MO spoonbillin and didnt take any cat gear. we decided to try for some cats at night so a quick trip to wally world and $40 later i was fishin.

15. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    You cant beat that. My main gripe is the tip isnt stiff enough for me. In a medium to heavy current they are just too flimsy. Poles dont have to be expensive at all. I just like to go somewhere where I can look at a variety of different cattin poles. There are tons out there each one is slighty different. Poles all have different guides, dimensions and actions. If you look hard enough you can find some that are more or less custom for you and if taken care of they can last a lifetime. I still use rods that my Dad made 10 years ago and they work perfectly. I also use rods bought at local baitshops and at CC. They have all been better than Ol Wally.

16. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    you hit the nail on the head w/ variety. seems ya have to go to cabela's or bass pro to get a look at a wide variety. then there aint too much in the po boy range so if yer like me ya end up walkin out broke cuz its so tempting

17. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    dont take me to one of those shops
    my wife cringes when i walk into a place like that
    i use her like a pack mule hold this hold that

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i know what ya mean Gus !! i spent dang near $800 in cabelas after i get my tax return one year. i got to the point where a cart was full so i would tell an employee i wanted somethin and they would take it up front for me. :smile2: i dont regret that day but i coul of used better judgement i think :smile2: now Lucky makes sure i dont have all my money on me when we go there.

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    now adays i i just have to buy line and lead and lead is pretty cheap
    except my son broke my 5 yr old pole monday kind of pissed me off a little but oh well what can you do
    he ran into a tree with the tip of the rod walking back to my truck

20. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i know what ya go through with boys of my own that are 12 & 3. most of my buyin though is campin stuff. those that were at the gathering seen i camp purdy good and i didnt even bring everything. the only thing i could do to make campin better is to get a camper but then i couldn't tow a boat and a camper. although, i still need the oven like Kyle has !! :smile2: