Another mistake - another lost big catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by EricM, Feb 9, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    This is one I've done before and apparently haven't learned from, so maybe you will learn faster than I do. Yesterday I caught an 8 lb blue cat and had to use the pliars to remove the hook. When I did, I thought I might have pinched or nicked the line right above the hook with the pliars, so I checked it and found nothing obviously wrong. WRONG! The very next fish was very large and I could barely move it - usually means a 30+ lb fish - and after a very short time the leader snapped right above the hook. I had obviously damaged the knot or the leader, and because I didn't take the few seconds to snip off the line and retie the hook I lost a big fish. It is amazing how a very small nick can severely weaken your line.

If you think it could possibly need to be retied, it does!

2. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I think we all do that at one time or another, but thanks for the reminder.

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Thanks for the reminder

4. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Heck, I've even done that with little ole trout. Good reminder. Thanks!

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post... I dont rety much....Probably should do it more as well....

bayrunner ray

6. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    oh well...mistakes happen.....there will be more

7. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    oh man, that had to hurt...been there done that

I am fairly 'religious' about re-tying , but have certainly thrown a lure or bait back in the water knowing i was screwing up. Usually it's because I'm in a sudden flurry of feeding and your getting a lots of hits or catching fish and I don't want to miss that window of opportunity...we all have been fishin and catching them....when suddenly someone flips a switch somewhere and the bite just ENDS! :confused2: :sad2:

thanks for the reminder

8. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Yea I have done the same thing, could be i'm just feeble or plain lazy.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yup. Pretty common mistake. Probably a good idea to retie every time, or have some extra laeders made up. Alot of times I will just snap on a new leader, and retrieve the hook later if I plan to keep the fish. Thanks for the reminder.

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    #$%$%$^%$%&^%*(That's all I got to say about that........:too_sad:

11. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I know that sick feeling when that happings Its happened to many times

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    U got to increase all the odds in ur favor.

13. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Next time feel that leader with your fingers. Then run it through your lips. Your fingers will not feel 75% of the stuff going on there.
    But best to retie it and be done. Also the big ones always gets away.:sad2:
    Pete

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    My personal moto. Catch a fish-always retie. Get hungup-retie. You may only get one shot at catching that monster and you need the odds in your favor.:smile2:

15. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    It has happened to us all! As you say, we hope to have learned from the mistake. Yet as time goes along, we get complacent and that is all it takes! Thanks Again for the reminder and sorry for the break-off!!!!

HOPPY4

16. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Im sure Ill catch alot of heck for this, but I use steel leaders here in Nebraska. There are alot of submerged trees and garbage (yes literally garbage) in our lakes ponds and rivers. Forty-five pound minimum, and at least 12 inches. I used to have the same problem after hooking into a fish and extracting the hook. But after I switched to steel leaders it hasnt happened since.

Tight lines to ya!!!

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    If you are out there targeting the next state or world record, and you know you have a opportunity to hook one, just take the time to re-tie. Yes its a pain, but would you rather confess on here that you lost the "one" or re-tie and catch an eater? I looked back on myself last season after reading this post and I'm appalled at the way I treated my leaders. If I had hooked an 80 or 100 pound flat in 3 or 5 ft of water up on the bank near all that wood, I never would have seen him with some of the used-up rigs I tossed out there. I guess I got lucky I didn't hook into any truly huge ones. I would have been so mad I wouldn't have been able to speak for days if I hooked that once in a lifetime fish and I lost him due to my own lazyness.
    Thanks for the post and reminder, It won't happen any more.

18. squirrel

squirrel New Member

State:
    california
    i ahve done the same thing but worst than that i forget to spit an the line when iam drawing the line tight on the hook

19. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I always need a reminder about that!

20. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Been there done that, way to many times.