another missing boater

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by poopdeck [patrick], Jul 17, 2009.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Was just watching the channel 2 news and theres a missing boater on the mississippi south of festus. He has been missing since 7 last night. The guys wife wants people to come down there and help in the search.

Seems they had motor trouble the missing guys partner was working on it, there was a near by lighting strike he looked and his buddy was gone.

2. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Also waiting to here more news on this, no life jacket, what i hear.

3. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Don't look good.

4. Mrs Okie

Mrs Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Illinois
    My prayers are with this man and his family.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like a trajic set of circumstances thus far. Motor problems, level four storm cell goes right over that area, and struck by lightning. Doesn't sound good.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Thats all true cuz, but if you didn't have on your life jacket it sounds like a good time to put it on.

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man this kind of stuff is happening way too often. Be careful out there folks.

My thoughts are with the family. A Tragedy!:sad2:

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good point Patrick. Can't argue with the logic of wearing a life jacket on the sippi.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If I ever fall overboard chances are mine will be on because it RARELY comes off.

I feel bad for this family.

10. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    you got that right skip. cuz at the next meeting we really need to talk about boating safety. There is nothing more important. I sure hate for the next victim to be one of us.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thats funny you make that point Patrick. I'm actually working on a Safety Sheet that I'll pass out to everyone. It can be a living document in that we can add to it as members come up with items that can be hazards.

12. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    Thinngs can happen real quick. Just last friday while out with Willie and Russ we almost ran into some "head high cables" by a barge, in the dark. We did not see them untill we were right on them. We were going real slow so Russ was able to slam in in reverse real quick and get us out of there.

13. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    We did the about the same thing at the barge that was anchored in the middle of the Missouri. When we came back in we noticed the anchor cables on each side of the barge that where streched out about 100 ft on either side. I didn't remember seeing them when we went by during the day light hours. We didn't come close to hitting them but I was kinda worried that I didn't see them during the day light and they where not marked.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
  14. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Above posts (last 2) are 2 of the things Gary F. showed me about fishing the Mo. river. I'm learning from one of the best!! Still got a lot to learn!!

15. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Swamp and I were out there on the river last night in crystal city. It was a pretty bad storm to say the least. We missed the most of it but I wouldn't have wanted to be down river of us. We heard the report from a buddy of Swamps and we assumed it was upstream by the boat club. We didn't see any boats looking so we though his buddy was full of it. Its a sad thing and I feel for his family. The missing guy is my age and it makes ya think.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That lighting strike and fatality was a mere 2 miles below where you guys were fishing. :crazy:

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    We figured it couldn't of been far away. That area would be more Festus than Crystal City though. That had to be down by the truman ramp. We kept thinking it was above us if it was Crystal City.

18. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Just below ya right around the bend on the Missouri bank. You prob heard the lightning

19. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Yeah we heard it, saw it and was glad when it passed.

20. poopdeck [patrick]

State:
    ofallon il
    K -- The Missouri State Water Patrol is searching for a boater who disappeared Thursday evening after his boat was struck by lightning.

Water Patrol officials said there were two people in the boat when it was struck around 7 p.m. south of Crystal City. The other person in the boat said the victim fell out after the strike and was not seen again.

Overnight, rescue crews with Jefferson County and Herculaneum fire departments helped with the search. They resumed the search this morning with the help of the Coast Guard.

The search is expected to continue throughout the day and into tomorrow if necessary. Authorities are calling it a recovery effort.

The name of the victim has not been released.