Another liver question

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by grillking, Sep 25, 2007.

1. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    allright. we all know chicken livers produce fish. what about beef liver or any other type of liver?:0a21:

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    beef liver will work,and it stays on the hook better so you dont have to cure it like chicken liver.Ive had sucess with both,it seems some days they will prefer one over the other depending on the day.Ive used pig liver ,deer liver,all work pretty good.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah I think all liver will catch fish. Ive caught fish on beaver, deer, chicken, turtle, mink and squirrell.

4. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yea i have used beef and chicken livers. both seem to work good enough.

5. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I prefer fresh beef liver over chicken liver and I use small rubber bands to keep it on the hook.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Years ago, before I learned to cure chicken livers, I experimented with pork and beef liver, because it stays on the hook so much better than fresh chicken liver. I also tried chicken gizzards and hearts. My tests involved alternating baits on trotlines. I fount that while pork liver produced more fish than beef liver, it didn't produce nearly as many as chicken liver. Hearts produced an occasional fish, while gizzards weren't worth putting on the hook.

7. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    i pefer chicken livers

8. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I USE TURKEY LIVER. JUST LET A CHUNCK SET OUT IN THE SUN AND OR WIND TO DRY ONE SIDE A LITTLE OR I USE A PIECE OF PANTY HOES. EITHER ONE KEEPS IT ON THE HOOK FOR ME.

9. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used beef liver and caught fish, but i prefer chicken livers hands down. i use cheese cloth to keep it on the hook, and it works better than pantyhose for me. plus cheese cloth is alot easier to get off of the hook than pantyhose.

10. impak209

impak209 New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio, U
    chicken livers definantly, and while I have used the panty hose method, if there are'nt a lot of bait stealing fishin the area I won't bother because its more torouble to tie it up and its impossible to remove it from your hook, on the plus side you can prolly use the same liver all night!
    I bought some treated "tough chicken livers" in a foil package a while a go and can't find anymore it has a cigar smoking chicken on the front it works pretty decent and thats some tough stuff. Closer examination shows its a sort of chicken liver with mashed newspaper material or something.

11. big papa

big papa New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i used to use nothing but chicken liver when growing up. and at times try beef liver but never did any good. i never even gotten bites on it myself

12. DADJBW

DADJBW New Member

State:
    texas
    chicken liver works best for me. i tried gizzards and got no bites. As for using the panty hoes...cut the barb off of the hook and its much easier to get them off when done. you wont lose fish either.