Another Line Question

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 4, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I spool all new line this winter (which I am almost done with) & I only use a particular reel aprox 3 times, does it have to be respooled again before the next year?

The reason I ask this is that I have too many cat reels (yes I now admit it) & know for a fact that I will only use the majority of them less than 3 outings. So would I have to respool next winter or could I get a couple years worth out of the line?

What would the disadvantages be? What would I be putting at risk, if anything?

FYI: The line would be Shakesphere Red Caujin and Berkely Big Game. (15-30#)

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    hey melon.
    I am not sure about how soon you would have to respool. I do know that UV rays damage mono as soon as it hit it. So keeping the reels store in a location that limits UV rays will help extend line life. I also believe ,MHO, that mono ages as soon as you put it on the reel.

What you have to lose. Think of the big that got away.. That is all I have to say.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good quality braid, and your good to go. Keeping your equipment out of direct sunlight when not in use improves longevity immensely.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan, I put new line on all my reels 3 times a year, even if I only use some of them a couple times.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Like all plastics, mono is affected by UV rays. Keep the reels in a dark place or put reel covers on them and it will help. Also try some of Blakmore's Real Magic, its supposed to protect your line from UV.

6. Billy Jo

Billy Jo New Member

State:
    Peoria , Arizona
    Thank about this. When you go to buy new fishing line, is the line your buying two week old or is it two years old? Who knows, I have uesd Burkley Trilene and big game line for years and I only change once a year and sometime every two years. When I am fishing I always check my line everytime I catch a fish and if line shows wear I remove and retie. I also use Blakemore Reel Magic, I spray line and reel after every fishing trip.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think I'm going to get the Reel Magic & one the ones that are used less than 3 times, I'm not going to change.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Blakemore changed the name to Real Magic. Small thing, but you may miss the product if looking for Reel. It has a UV protecterant in it. Supposed to be great stuff for spinning reels, makes the line more limp, less likely to twist and better casting.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flathunter didn't you tell us all one time that Bryan doesn't have to worry about respooling very often because he hardly ever stresses his line by catching anything?Hmm that might of been someone else,in any case I've been told that Real Magic is quite similiar to Armor All.I have never compared the labels or ingredients but have used Armor All on my flylines since the 70s.Maybe you said he never caught anything big enough to stress his line.Just can't remember.

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Armor All works for me.I use it on the rods too.Shines like new money and the scales don't stick as easy.You can clean them better. :D

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Armor All huh? Hmm I would have thought the cheicals would hurt the line, but now I know something. I seldom use the same rod/reel time after time, so many will only see the water for a couple hours or so a year. I guess I really do have too many for the small amount of fishing that I do. :glare:

12. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Something else you can do is to switch to a line like Power Pro. I know what your thinking... it's too expensive. But I just waited for income tax return last year and somehow found myself at Bass Pro--go figure--lol Anyway since I am on an incredibly tight budget, I got to calculating how many times I changed my line every year and realized I was spending about the same amount of money as I would if I went to a good braid.
    To tell ya the truth, I'm very impressed with the way the line has held up. Very little fraying. Since the diameter is so small, I went with 100lb test and it is very castable. Now I don't have to worry about my line getting kinky (my biggest complaint w/ mono). And I don't have to worry about UV rays either. This way, the only reason for me to have to respool is if the reel gets low on line. Totally your own opinion on what you like to use, but even if you only do it on one rod---try power pro, just once---you may decide you like it too.