Another lesson learned!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cheapNdisgusting, Dec 23, 2008.

1. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    It all started a week ago. ( I wanted to say "On a cold windy rainy night as lightning struck all around") My wife asked if I would paint the kitchen before Christmas. Wisely, I said I would. (I'm not stupid) We went to buy paint but when we got there - it was really raining hard. My wife said she would rather wait in the truck and gave me a page out of a magazine with the color circled so they could use that color matching machine to make the 2 gallons I would need. Simple enough. Even I could do that I thought, and then she won't have the chance to drag me thru the plants and every other non-interesting department. For a little place in time I actually thought I was ahead in the game.

Off I went with the magic color page under my coat and a smile on my face. I gave the guy in the paint dept. the magic page, told him what kind of paint I wanted and while he was busy doing what he had to do - I walked around in the tool dept. and had a nice 15 or 20 minuits just looking at Guy stuff. This was the LAST peaceful time for the next God only knows how long. I went to pick up my paint. The guy compared the paint color to the magic magazine page and then asked me "How does it look?" I started to sweat a little. And then for some unknown reason I could hear myself say "Looks good to me" thanks, paid for the paint and went back out in the storm.

Right now, some of you reading this are thinking "How could he be that stupid" and "No guy can pick out paint colors for his wife". You would be 100% correct on both of them. I thought I was trained well enough to handle small chores on my own. Was I ever wrong!

I got back out to the truck and my wife scrutinized the magic color page and the small smear on the paint can lid in the glorious rays from the trucks dome light and instantly announced that "The color is not correct" (Here is where a wise man would smile and say "You are right - I'm sorry") I chose instead to try to explain that it will look different when it is on the wall and dry. (This little tidbit of information should never be used by anyone - anytime but my honor was at stake, I was sweating again, and I panicked) Never try logic!

The ride home was rather quiet.

At home, my wife mentioned that the color wasn't right - no more than 12,639 times.and I stuck with my original "Wait till it's done - It will look great" lie.

For the next couple days, I patched and painted the entire kitchen. Looked good to me. Notice that I said ME
    It was now five days till Christmas and WE were back at the paint dept. buying 2 more gallons of paint that was mixed specifically to her uncanny vision.
    My wife was correct and I now realize that my "Color matching ability" will forever be limited to camo.
    This story isn't over but I've got to get back to painting.

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LOL when will we learn!!! I am in that same boat

3. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Oh Russel brother..... Sorry to laugh at your expense......:big_smile:

4. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Live and learn Russ. Hang in there brother.

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thats exactly why i send her in for paint :big_smile:

6. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Merry Christmas LOL Happy Painting !:big_smile:

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Russ, you should have painted your shop with that paint when ya got home and just have taken the Missus back to the store.

But I'll tell ya this Russ, your 'Ol eyes may deceive ya at times but you more than make up for it in how you can tell a story.

Thanks, John

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really love my wife,But I know what I would tell her under those circumstances,Honey Dont let the door hit ya in theA$$:big_smile:, I fought for a month with my 11 year

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really love my wife,But I know what I would tell her under those circumstances,Honey Dont let the door hit ya in theA$$:big_smile:

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I really love my wife,But I know what I would tell her under those circumstances,Honey Dont let the door hit ya in theA$$:big_smile:, I fought for a month with my 11 year old daughter when I remodeled her room,She wanted a black room with PINK highlights Then it was lime green,I put my foot down and told her " As long as you are my daughter ,under the age of 21 and living under my roof,You dont get a choice in paint,its white.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Move over Rover!! Merry Christmas Rus.Sure glad it's you and not me.:roll_eyes:

12. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Russell, Russell, Russell!!!!. Brother, Lesson L:earned my friend? :big_smile: Laughing with you not at you Brother. All men have been here at least a dozen times and no matter how much we think we are smarter than our better half we almost assuradly are to fall short of any resemblence of a false hope that we can pull of the one thing that will make us say Ha! got that one right. You did what all men will do and that is to persue the path of what in our minds makes the most sense and not choose the path of the obvious. Don't sweat it. Most women don't expect us to be any smarter than our actions so the level of expectation is not as high as we tend to believe it to be . Good luck next time trying :big_smile:

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have been married for over 20 years and here's what i found,
    1, i will never be right
    2, the wife is always right.
    3, I learned to use these phrases. yes dear, anything you want dear, there's a rest stop do i need to pull in. and this one always the best, i let you sleep in because i know you work hard and need your rest. I never will get paint made because i know i will never get it right even if she gives me the paint swatch, it is best to insist to let her pick it out and have it mixed.

14. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    To be almost totally honest - both colors look the same - well, almost anyhow. 44 years of marriage and never been lost since. She's always been there telling me where to go.

Merry Christmas everyone

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you will end up painting the whole house for peasement.:big_smile:

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive learned one thing in 40 years and thas ever thing above the floor is wifes responsibility.dont try to pick out any thang for the house or around the house but under the house she aint going im boss there.