Another lesson learned on the Colorado!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Got out on the water again last Wednesday...just been too lazy to post about this one:roll_eyes:...Me and the boys set up on my favorite hole. Last time we were there, a big fish helped me break a rod, so I went back for round 2. Well this might not be the same fish but it was a big one just the same. I was baited up with live and cut 'gills as usual. Against my better judgment, I walked away from the rods in the holders to start hot dogs for the kids and ended up watching one my rods (my tuna stick)get literally torn from its holder and drug down into the depths of the Colorado...:eek:oooh:. I was completely speechless. Well we caught a few flatties through out the night. My 5 year old also got his first channel! Around 3am I decided to go back and try for round 3 with the big boy...I casted my new Tiger rod into the same area my tuna stick got taken and waited until after sun up with no luck...a few runs but nothing more.

After I decided it was time to leave, I pulled up my Tiger rod and felt myself snagged:confused2:...I checked the strength of my new rod by pulling and thinking aloud that it would be nice if this were a big fish or my tuna stick...once I got the snag to surface, I realized it was a branch...with my rod wrapped around it!!!!:crazy: I could not beleive it! Of all the snags I could hit out there, I hit the branch that fish went for and I got my tuna stick back!! Just like that, my night came around and turned out to be another good one after all!

Now I just have to figure out what preventive maintenance I need to do on my rod:wink:.

Attached Files:

2. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    That's purty darn good! Looks in the picture like you decided to tie your rods to the boat now.

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yea getting one pulled in ant no funn. Got one back tangled in another rig the other $120 bucks worth gone for good. I made some rod holders for the boat with 1 1/2 pvc 10 inch long my rods fit deep in em and I got em set on a 50 deg angle. I got a few pics on my albums with what I used. Good holders will stop pole from goen in. Somtimes the big fish on the mo grab and go like a freight train. Still sounds like you had awsome night of fishen. Me sat night skunked on the flats on the MO.

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Man, sounds like you must be livin right. Congrats on getting your pole back and your son catching his first channel too. Tight lines.

:cool2:

5. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man o man what a story........ Glad every thing turned out all right.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona

Yep...seems I always gotta learn things the hard way!:smile2: I got one end tied to the rods and the other end tied to the boat. I fiugre it'll give me just enough time to grab the rod before it goes down completely?

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Glad you caught your rod back!

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    good story! sounds like it wasnt a bad night at all.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats some nice Flatheads.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good thing you got your rods back.

One thing of note to prevent this is using your clickers on your ree if you have one such as the baitcasters. Or line runner if spinner. This will prevent mishaps like that from happening especially with expensive set ups. When you hear the clicker go off, that is your signal as opposed to watching for the rod to bend.