Another hook size thread...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay everbody, I know that hook size has been discussed over and over again here. I have a question though concerning last nights outting. My son and I were set up on a spot where we have got some good sized fish before. The water was super shallow and it was even hard to get some gills for bait. While trying to get some gills, we rigged up with chicken livers in nylon stockings. Almost right away, we got hits on all of our rods. Every time we tried to set the hooks, we kept missing the fish. When we reeled in the baits, the stocking was there minus he livers! My question is what hook size can I use that will work for a big cat AND smaller size fish?
    Right now I am rigging up with 8/0 hooks. I was using smaller ones but one night I got two runs and lost both fish, one hook was straightened out! Since thenI have been using 8/0. Help please?

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Dameon,

I use 7/0 circle hooks because of the design of the hook and the thickness of a good-sized cats lip. When I use Kahle hooks, which have a wider gap by design, I use smaller saizes such as 3/0 - 5/0. I always have even smaller ones in my tacle for just the type of situation you described. The biggest reason is that it is not always cats that are running with your liver. I sometimes find that large bream, drum, eels, small striper, etc are messing with me. I have caught very very small cats with even the 7/0 hooks, but if I am catching smaller ones, I usally downsize and produce more hook-ups. If you notice the size of mouth on a 20# + cat, a 7/0 and larger hook looks very small, but really how often do we all get into that kind of size. The hook you use should be determined by the size fish you are hunting for or antixipate getting bit by. If your hook is too small for the fish, I have found it works but you will probably get a gut hook. This is fine if you plan on eating the fish you catch...you can always get your hook back during the cleaning. Hope this helps.

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    for channels i love to use a 1/0 bait holder, for mide size fish i would say a 4/0 khale would get the job done,but for trophy cats a 6/0 to 10/0 king khale will work.

4. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    John, why should I never buy the livers frozen? the ones that I purchase are the ones from the meat departemnt also. I have found that it is much cheaper to buy it there than it is in the bait dept. even though they are both in the same store at Walmart. It's not frozen when I buy it but when I store it at home I usually freeze it until I go out. is this the wrong thing to do?

5. grunt111

grunt111 New Member

State:
    ga
    go for the big ones guy hold what u got untill u get em what to just throw em back cause they too small?

6. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I like the 7/0 kahle hook I've caught catfish ranging in size from 1lb channels to flatheads over 40lbs on them. Now if I knew there wasn't any catfish over 20lbs in the area I'd probably go with a smaller hook, but the waters I fish there is always a good chance of hooking up with one well over 20lbs.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dameron, I use 8/0 hooks when I target fish in the 15+ pound range. Thats a big hook.

Based on what you are asking, a 3/0-4/0 hook will work for about any size cat you will encounter.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you might consider trying a 2/0-3/0 off set eagle claw are tru-turn if you like the circle hooks a 4/0-6/0 gama is a good choice. For bigger fish I use 7/0 stainless steel circle hook are 7/0 regular J-hook.

9. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    The good old 4/0 kahle hook. See has been good to me rod and real and jug lines.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Before I found flatheads I was a channel fisherman and I used tons of liver. When liver is frozen the cell walls break down because of the ice crystals inside, When its thawed it wont stay on a hook any more. Fresh beef liver is tougher than ckicken, although some say chicken is better. I always used the beef cause it would stay on better than chicken. You might try switching to cut shad or sucker or even bluegill instead of liver alltogether.

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    I want to know what brand hooks you are using not all brand hold up the same if you have fish straighten your hooks i would try a diferent brand i myself i like gama and i have had success with other brands too and as for as the size of a hook the way i look at it is if your just after numbers of fish use smaller /0 if you are targeting trophy cats never down size stay with larger /o just my 2 cents

12. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Eagle claw catfish 4/0 Khales are what i have found to be the best for big and small fish i use them on my r/r and on my jugs allround great size IMO

13. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I usually purchase the Gamakatsu(sp?) brand as well. But I also have a tackle box full of hook that I got from a buddy who just got stationed in Hawaii. So I dont know what brand they are.

14. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I'd go with something between 4/0 and 6/0... although most of the smaller fish (esp flatties) have wide enough mouths at 10 inches to beable to fit an 8/0 in their mouths... the bait is another story... though i've seen a 15 inche channel take a 6 inch white perch