Another hog dog story....

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by jlingle, Nov 13, 2007.

1. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I met up with a couple of my hunting buddies(Corry & Lance) this weekend & we all went over to Memphis, TX for a little pig hunting. There are some guys they know from kansas who come down to Memphis several times each winter to catch hogs, and these guys have got some rough dogs. I got there Friday afternoon to find all the fellas sitting outside the hotel on chairs & ice chests, picking & singing & knocking down a few cold ones. I figured I was gonna like this crew! We sat there for several hours sipping beer & singing the best country tunes we could think of. It was a good time.

We loaded up that evening & went out southwest of Memphis. It's deer season, so we had to wait 'til after shooting light to get going. We didn't want the deer hunting ninnies to whine about us scaring off their deer, even though it was blazing hot & the deer weren't moving. Anyway, we pull onto the dead end road where we're gonna make our turnout, and there's a pickup down at the end of the road.... evidently a hunter in there. What the heck he's doing in there still, I don't know.... it's gotta be a good 30 minutes past shooting light. He was hunting hte property east of where we were gonna turn out anyway. So we headed south down through a CRP field that held a draw at the south end. The farmer had tipped us off that there had been hogs travelling through that draw going to feed at the deer feeders on the adjoining fields. He owned all the property around, but had the east field leased. Sure enough the dogs struck and we caught a small 3 legged boar in the draw. When we got to that hog, they had him stretched out & every single dog was caught. That poor little rascal had some serious teeth in him. We got him struck, and didn't even have a chance to catch the dogs before they struck again. That was a runnin' rascal & they never could get him shut down. I was hunting a redbone dog named Chief that night that I'd brought & that hunting fool trailed that hog for about an hour. We could hear him running the track all over the place. It was fun. I ended up sending Chief home with one of the fellas from Kansas. This gentleman traveled out to New Mexico several times a year to run bears. He took a shine to Chief & just KNEW he would run a bear. His open mouth style didn't really fit in with what we needed, so I sent that rascal to Kansas. The guy that took him had thought he was gonna get out of dog hunting, but I imagine everybody reading this has thought that at one time or another..... you just can't stay away for long. He was thrilled.

Anyway, we finally got the dogs all rounded up & went and tried a couple more spots that night. We struck out. Never even struck another hog. The acorn crop in the shinnery oaks down there are unbelievable. There is so much food for the hogs, that they don't have to travel much & hit the grain fields like normal. It was hot, dry, and there was food everywhere... it made for some tough hunting.

Saturday morning we awoke to thick fog outside. I was FIRED UP!!!! Man, them dogs were gonna be able to really be able to smell that day. The fella who was kinda heading up the operation had a great spot by a river for us to go try, and we all loaded up and headed that way. You talk about some unbelievable country. That was the best looking country we saw all weekend, and we hunted hard until about 1:00 in the afternoon without striking a single hog. I'm not kidding. We hunted several spots that reeked of hogs, and just knew we were gonna catch hogs at every turn. Nothing. As it started warming up, we knew we'd better get the dogs caught and head in to regroup.

Saturday evening found us all splitting up & going our separate ways. Me & my 2 buddies from Frederick went to Silverton to meet up with a guy I know named Paul. He usually has some hogs located & figured he could put us on something. Sure enough, we struck a hog about a mile from his house. We only had 2 of our own dogs on the ground, the rest were Paul's. They bayed that hog up in a nasty old stock tank. It was that sewer-smelling black mud. When we ran up to the tank, it looked like there were 8 tar babies mud wrestling in there. Every dog was completely covered. It was about a 130 lb boar hog, we stuck him & then proceeded to get totally lost trying to find the truck. Figures. We didn't make it back to Memphis until 2:30 in the morning. Many many many thanks to Paul for putting me on yet another hog. If any of you ever get a chance to meet a fella named Paul T. from Silverton TX..... do so. He's good people. He's one of those guys that I just can't say enough good things about. He's been good to me. He has some phenomenal hog dogs, and they're trained VERY well. The guy really knows his hog dogs.

All in all, it was a ton of fun just hanging out with all the guys, meeting some new folks, and getting some work in on my dogs. I made 5 new friends, got to see some great country, and my youngest dog is really coming on strong. It was a good weekend.

Here's a few pictures that Paul took of the melee at the stock tank. I'm the tubby guy in the green shirt, doing the sticking. Corry had forgotten his headlamp so he didn't make it to the bay during the picture taking. Lance is legging the little boar. He ended up getting quite a bit of the stinky mud on him. His rubber boots got him bogged down a little bit in the mud. Oops.

Attached Files:

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerrod, is it legal to run hog dogs in Oklahoma? I always thought it was but a guy at work told me today it was illegal. I figure it's illegal during deer sason but i have been with some guy's running them in southeast Oklahoma. They bayed one one time that had backed into some thick saw bryars and the only way the dogs could get to them was from the front he ripped these dogs up pretty good. We ended up having to build a stretcher to haul one of the dogs out on, took them home and sewed them up. I haven't had the chance to go to many times but it's alot of fun.

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Oh it's perfectly legal in Oklahoma. The state is still trying to figure out how to regulate hog dogging, but it's perfectly legal in every way. There are a few public lands that don't allow hog hunting of any kind during deer season. It's no different than coon hunting with hounds. They are allowed to hunt day or night, and carry a light and gun with them at night. I don't see how it could be considered any different if we do it.

During deer rifle season, most guys won't run their hog dogs, because there's just too big a risk of having some dipstick shooting one of your dogs. No matter how smart my dogs are, they still have difficulty reading no trespassing signs & knowing when to stay out of a particular property if they're trailing a hog. Therefore, I'm going to give them a rest during rifle season here in Oklahoma. Just too much could go wrong. I'm a deer hunter as well & I'd hate for someone to run their dogs through a property I was hunting & spoil my hunt. I'd hate to do that to anyone else. I only hunt property where I have permission to hunt, but my dogs have wandered off a few times. It can become a bad situation if you don't respect other people's property.