Another high water Great Miami River report

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Fished the lower GMR this morning after I got the call from Dinkbuster that he was going to sleep in, he mentioned something about 50 MPH winds, rain , falling barometer, falling temps and snow. (Wussy...:crazy:) anyways headed south to explore some new water, was a ways below the last dam in Hamilton so was in the big water, it was up over 4 ft and rising, chocolate and so I was looking for a place to park, was semi sheltered from the rain/wind and had some decent cover, after driving up and down the river for a while found a spot where I didnt get towed and actually caught a few fish, the main spot I fished was on an outside bend and was in an eddy behind a large tree that was deflecting the water, the water was about 10 ft deep in this spot: see picture below.

[​IMG]

I took 5 channels here, first one was a 1 lber, then the next 4 were from 2.5-4 lbs, all took frozen shad. Here are pictures of 2 of them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As the temps dropped, I lasted about 2 hrs out there and decided to call it a day and check out a few more spots on the way home ( without fishing)

I liked this area and the fact that there was hardly any signs of anyone else being there tells me that in warmer weather will probably have my car towed while I am there. I hate the lack of access anywhere on the lower ( and upper ) GMR.:sad2:

Merry Christmas to all!!

Salmonid

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice fishes and have a safe merry christmas

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad you got on some fish atleast...sorry you had to go about it alone..:sad2: It was a cold one thats for sure.

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks Tbull, Misery loves company....:wink:

Salmonid

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    man, i just couldnt do it today. only had 4hrs sleep, woke up with a major headache, it was windy.....REALLY WINDY, and well, i was a wussy . we will have to go back down when the water returns to normal. much bigger channels down that way and a few blues are possible . i was hoping to go out tomorrow but it looks like the river will be blown out again:sad2:

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Thanks for sharing the pics, nice fish.

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice fish. that wind was horrible yesterday. atleast you got some fish. Was you fishing close to the mouth at the ohio or back in the gmr farther

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I was several miles up from the mouth. I imagine the mouth was ugly with the high water and all. You fish down that way much??
    Salmonid

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The mouth wasnt that bad that day, I was with ProstreetS10, honestly it didnt even look very high at all, there is a discharge there, and it didnt look much different as far as being a foot or so off the water, as it did before the river came up..Man oh man was there some fish in there, I wish we could have gotten the boat to stay still would have loved to find out just what we were marking on the fish finder,,:roll_eyes:

10. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    the river near new baltimore is up... eggelston and dravo
    was out there sat it was great to see the water back up
    hopefully the fishing next year will be better

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    yes nice to see the water back up on the GMR and good to see the fishing back up as well :big_smile:

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Heck yeah I am looking foward to fishing the GMR more this spring and summer. Never could get there more than a couple times last year.

13. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    access to the lower gmr is usually found in county parks, city parks, bridges or the various low dams. a park like Rentschler Forest Preserve in butler county look very promising hike it last year never went going back here very soon on a day from 40 to 50 i did
    not bring a pole i should have :eek:oooh: but going to fish it this year :big_smile:

14. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i now leave my tackle in my van

15. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    that park looks very promising though i saw a guy have a flat around 15 or so pounds looked like 34 inches of him I have my rods in my car nowi it was late april early may of 2007. :smile2:

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i can't wait to hit the great miami river

17. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    agreed especially if we have enough water this year no drought :roll_eyes:

18. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i agree with you rick

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i was fishing my usual places on the gmr rice field a park in miamisburg ohio, west carrolton dam, near bear creek goes into the gmr Hutchinson low dam all where down at least 2 feet or more. at the west carrolton dam it was so low that the pipe into the river was back flowing into the main drag i had the turtle and carp plague this summer Gary :smile2:

20. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    never landed a turtle and i hope i never do