Another Great Night on the Ohio River!!!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by catfishjohn, Jun 6, 2009.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The Big 'O' was high & muddy last night. Lots of trash also. Too much trash to fish our honey hole....:sad2: Took 5-6 oz of Lead to hold bottom.
    Thats OK though, we found a new one...:wink:

We ended up with 13 Cats boated last night. All caught on gills & cut gills.
    Larry(Mankind) caught 4 Flatties, biggest at 8lbs and a 4lb Channel.:cool2:

I caught 4 Flatties, biggest at 8lbs also.(unbelievable story on that one:eek:oooh:) 2 Blues, 8 and 10lbs and 2 4lb Channels. We'll get pics on sometime today.:wink:
    The story on the starved 8lb Flattie....:eek:oooh:
    I had a decent run on a live gill, I waited for it to take it more but didn't. The rod next to it with cut gill took off, I set the hook and it was on. I got the fish in close to the boat and my clicker started on the other pole. Every time I'd gain ground the other clicker would go off. OK, their tangled up, no big deal. Larry netted the fish and I went to get them untangled. The cut gill hook was in his lip, I took it out and tried to get the lines untangled, then I noticed he had also swallowed the live gill and was hooked in the throat...:eek:oooh:
    I told Larry and he said no way, I showed him and we laughed and said that was just crazy!!! Never had a fish take the bait on 2 poles like that...True Story! Just ask Larry!:wink: I wish I had have got pics of the 2 hooks in it, hard to believe it if you didn't see it.:confused2:
    I cut the line and got a pic and let her swim.:cool2:
    Water temp. was 70* and a few of the Flatties showed Spawn marks. Won't be long for the Spawn.
    As always all fish were CPR'ed.:wink::cool2:

Last 3 Fridays on the trips to the Ohio have been 13, 14 and 13 fish boated. No Pigs yet but its bound to happen!:big_smile:

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great story! thats one unlucky fish

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot to add I had my new BOC Camo hat on. I think it may just be my new Lucky Fishing Hat!!! :wink::cool2::big_smile:

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I forgot I had 1 pic on my camera. I'll get more up later.
    This is the 10lb Blue...

Ohio River 6-5-2009 003r.jpg

5. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    john does well as long as he has someone to catch bluegills for him. we did hit a ruff time but as you read we managed to boat a few nice ones. a normal person would have seen the conditions on the river and went home so i'm glad we came up with another plan that worked:wink: we didn't give up!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    :smile2::embarassed: So I had a bad bait catching day,,,that doesn't happen often. I saved my mojo for the cats!:wink::smile2:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Here are a few pics...

IMG_0066r.jpg

IMG_0068r.jpg

IMG_0070r.jpg

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    And a couple more....The 2 Flatties pic was a double I had on not even 20 minutes after we got lines in the water!:cool2:

IMG_0071r.jpg

Ohio River 6-5-2009r.jpg

9. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Congrats John and Larry on another good night of Cattin'! :big_smile: Nice pics, thanks for sharing! :cool2: I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago where a small Flatty took two of my baits and was hooked on both poles! :crazy:

10. cumberlandgillman

cumberlandgillman New Member

State:
    KY
    Congrats on a good catch.. I would say that Big O could get a little scary at night????

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the replies!:wink::cool2:

Not usually, only when the river is up and lots of debris is floating down river. We about had a 30' tree try to take us out on the Big Sandy one night. Luckily it was a little before dark and we saw it and was able to keep it off the boat...:eek:oooh:

Big Tree.jpg