Another GREAT idea for the advancement of the BOC

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bill in SC, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Folks, our local and national waterways, lakes and rivers, give us countless hours of recreation. We ALL enjoy time on the water catchin' these fightin' cats. I think it would be a good idea if the BOC would discuss an annual week of waterway cleanup. It would be hard to pinpoint a day, or weekend designated for such, as folks schedules conflict so much. If we announced a week of waterway cleanup, folks could pick any day during that week to get out and give back to nature, what some are trying hard to destroy. Instead of big fish pics for that day, we could all take pics of our loads of refuse gathered from the waterways. Each person should try to MAKE time to serve our waterways with giving instead of taking for at least one day each year. With our vast numbers, I think we could really make a positive impact on our waterways, and it would be GREAT public relations for our group. I know MOST of us here on the forum take all our own trash home with us, and many of us pick up whatever is handy to reach that isn't ours. That being said, I always see tires on rims, refrigerators, TVs, basketball and footballs, and countless plastic bottles floating, hung up in the trash piles of the waterways. I know many members already do clean up a lot of "extra" items, and I assume many clubs have days designated for cleanup. We have discussed it with our peedeecatmasters club. It would only cost each individual the fuel and time it takes to clean up one day out of that week, in their own local area. Whatcha think, Paul and others? BTW: It should be scheduled in either late fall or late winter, while the moccasins are in hibernating from the cool/cold, as they LOVE to lie in those debris piles.
    Bill in SC
    Always thinking about ways to improve and advance our BOC club, the greatest catfish site on the web.

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That would be good and if the ones doing it could maybe wear a BOC shirt or hat let the public know about us

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    I'm game, but you already knew that. :smile2:

I do it already on a daily basis every time we go fishing. I'll continue to do it every time I'm at the water too!

I don't have a BOC shirt or hat though, so nothing to pretty me up... Just have to take me as I am. LOL :wink:

4. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think this is a really great idea you have! I'm willing to help out in way I can.

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep agree, all ready do, even have the shorty that has gotten into the grove about it...... I can ask a grown man why he lets his trash lay and get no reply, or any good one , but it is funny when that 9 year old little girl asked the same......... :eek:oooh: is usually the look.......:smile2:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Cleanup and conservation are two great ways to promote the BOC and catfishing in general

7. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in my county there are designated clean up days where citizens can dispose of tires, appliances etc. for free. In my area it would be best served for local BOC members to team up on one of those days otherwise there is no place to dispose of the items that catch your eye with out costly disposal fees.

my .02

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, if coordinated with the F&G department, they should pick up all the trash collected and placed at centralized locations for the areas being cleaned up. Also, I'm sure that the local media would be more than happy to cover such an event, since they cover cleanup efforts by other groups.

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's an excellent point, Jeff! I think if we contacted the right officials in each of our respected areas, they SHOULD let us dump our waterway cleanup debris for FREE.

< I'm game, but you already knew that. :smile2:>

Yes. Wayne, I do. If a crippled up fellow like you can devote that effort to do what you do, certainly, we ALL could do the same.

Another idea to add to this project would be for us to push for our local clubs to place a trash can at each of our local boat landings. Some of our boat landings have them, and some do not. The cans could be marked with signs stating that they are sponsored by our local clubs AND the BOC, with a BOC decal on each sign. I think WE, as a group, could find enough loose change to purchase a trash can (chained to a metal pole) for our local landings at each of our respected areas that don't have them. I'm sure we would have to go through DNR channels to be allowed to do so, but I can't see any area being denied for a NATIONAL project of this magnitude, for the betterment of our waterways. It sounds like it could get complicated with the "red tape", but if we are diligent, and work together, this would be a MAJOR accomplishment for the betterment of each state's waterways. Let's not let this idea die, and only be an afterthought. Our waterways and future generation's, future is at stake. MANY of us are on the last of the four segments of the Native American medicine wheel, meaning that we are getting older. We all know that the MOST of the present generation has NO CLUE to what's going on around us. It is imperative that we get this done, while there are enough of us left who care enough to get it done.
    Bill in SC
    BTW: If you don't have a local club, you could still put a trash can at the landings, (after contacting your local DNR) and maybe we could start a small fund raiser to cover the cost of the BOC decals put on the signs. We can't expect Paul to foot the bill for all the decals.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Missouri has an org. called Missouri Stream Team that i belong to. We do river clean ups and smaller streams in town. It always amazes me the trash we pick up. Every state should have this.

11. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    ABSOLUTELY, Jerry! GREAT post!
    Bill in SC

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Missouri has an org. called Missouri Stream Team that i belong to. We do river clean ups and smaller streams in town. It always amazes me the trash we pick up. Every state should have this.>

ABSOLUTELY! That would be great. However, since each state doesn't have this, the BOC can step up and do the same. Our club numbers are MASSIVE, and it should be a cinch to pull off, with proper coordination. Any body can fish, and then sit at the computer to boast of their catches. It takes people of great character to "give back" with a yearly cleanup effort. Lets make this happen and promote the character of OUR CLUB!
    Bill in SC

13. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Karen's mom and dad go to yard sales all the time. Karen just let them know that if they find an inflatable boat (cheap one) that it would help us get to spots on the river that we can't get to by wading. We have a large nylon 100' (now 99' after a test I did) rope that we can tether it to and get trash from. They are also going to look for decoy bags, large laundry bags, etc for us. :smile2:

I am taking this thread VERY seriously, and look forward to it! As for the trash can idea, I will call the DNR and ask if we can put one up at the head of the trail in the parking area that we fish alot. Can I just paint BOC on it? Don't have the money for stickers right now, that will have to come when I get my disability money? I need permission before putting BOC on anything, as I don't want to do something that might hurt the club, or get me in trouble with the big man :wink:. What exactly do I paint on it?

Something like "Brotherhood of Catfishermen - www.catfish1.com" on the side?

I have an emergency doctor's visit now, as one of my teeth has absessed and is really hurting. The doctor's office said, "get him in here NOW!" when Karen called. LOL

Be back in a little bit.

14. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I am up for it. I already pick up an ungodly amount of trash that isnt mine and will continue to do so. I hate to look at it while fishin.
    I really like the idea of posting pics of what we pick up. That way people can see the magnitude of whats really going on. Where I live, the canoers and kayakers have a river clean up day down town. They pick up TONS of trash every year. I dont fish downtown but pick up trash everywhere I fish. I either keep a trashbag or fill a 5 gallon bucket up before I leave. Its sad but we are the only ones who will do it. Most of the trash I pick up is by so called "fiherman". They go once or twice a year to get drunk and try to catch a fish. I get left picking up the beer bottles and liver containers. I dont have to but I hate looking at it and I know its not good for the environment. It is up to us.
    You could probably make enough money to fill a gas tank if you went below a dam and picked up cans. You would probably be suprised how many you could get.
    It gives me something worthwhile to do when the fish arent bitng. I will always do it and will spread the word.
    LEAVE IT BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT!!

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't think that getting the trashcans will be the biggest problem; the biggest problem is going to be maintenance. From time to time, I see both metal and plastic 55 gallon drums for sale in the $7-$10 range. But plastic bags for them run anywhere from $1.25-$3.50 each, plus shipping. That's somewhere in the $75 per year, per can, assuming a weekly pickup. Then there's the problem of someone faithfully emptying the can every week; or setting up a schedule for several people to do it in rotation. This can be a great program, so long as it works, but an overflowing can with our name on it is not the kind of publicity we want. I hate to be the one coming up with the negative vibes, but this is a point to consider.

16. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    this is a good idea i pic up trash anyway i keep a bag in the van all the time i hate seeing my fishing spot junked up so yes im all for it:cool2: i hate trashy pepple but thats one for let it rip!!!!!!!!!:angry:

17. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Back from the doctor and ready to get at it. My tooth is not only absessed, but the nerve is exposed (which is why I can feel my tooth behind my eyeball LOL). I need to get permission from three places before I can put a can up...

1) The golf course (they own the land that is used to get to the fishing spot, and park there)

2) DNR

3) BOC, if they want me to put the name on the can.

We would check it every couple of days to see if it needs removal, Karen drives by it anyway when she has to substitute teach at the primary school, and the local trash drop-off is free except for tires and chemicals I think. I know it's free for regular trash and household items.

Do have one question though. How will we keep someone from stealing the can? Just wrapping a chain around it won't hold it, and you could probably just pull it out of the chain? I've never done anything like this and want to get one out there, but I know there are people that will try to ruin anything good. :sad2:

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Wayne, if you use a 55 gallon drum just cut a hole in it near the top and put the chain thru the hole:big_smile:

19. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Didn't even think of that. Right now, trying not to think much at all. LOL

Thank you. Now just for the permissions. :smile2:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    We need to work on our local county supervisors to be responsible for emptying the cans at the boat landings. For example, in Society Hill, they do just that. The mayor there takes great pride in their boat landing, and has done many things to improve it, including trash removal. The Cheraw landing is also well maintained by the city of Cheraw. As someone mentioned, your local MEDIA should be advised, and we should have our intentions printed in all our local newspapers. With an issue as serious as litter, I would hope that many of the local papers would print a short note for FREE. As for theft of the cans, vandalism, etc, you are certainly going to have that occasionally. I imagine there will be many bullet riddled cans at many landings, but as long as they hold trash, would not have to be replaced until they were completely destroyed. As for the plastic trash bags, each county should be more than willing to supply them for the cans. If not, the barrels could be put up without bags. The trash could just be dumped in the trash truck and compacted like the rest of the county garbage. Certainly there will be "issues" to contend with, that will vary tremendously from place to place. This whole concept can not be completed overnight, but if we start now, within a year or so, we should be able to have the whole plan implemented, nationwide.
    Bill in SC