Another great fishing trip & my first catfish!!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Eithne, May 30, 2006.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    My luck just keeps getting better it seems. I decided on an impromptu trip to St. Vincent Lake after picking John up from work today. Got parked, set up, and rods out by about 5:00. By 5:30, I had my first carp of the day. This one wasn't as big as the ones from the other day, but still put up a nice fight.

We had fun watching the baby ducks playing around us for awhile. And we watched the horde of panfish that was swimming along the shoreline bump our lines. It was a nice way to pass the time until.......I caught my first catfish!!!!!

The reel was screaming as the line was pouring off. I quickly tightened the drag and started reeling in fast so that the fish didn't cross the other lines. By the way this thing fought, I could've sworn it was another carp, though maybe a bit smaller. To my surprise, I see this little catfish flop at the top of the water about 15 feet away from me. I was both shocked and laughing hysterically at the fight this little fish put up.

By the time I pulled him up on shore and grabbed him for a few pictures, it hit me that this was my first catfish. Yeah, it was only about 12 inches long and maybe a pound, but how exciting. Everyone's got to start somewhere, right? :roll_eyes:

It was a cute little thing regardless and John and I keep going back and forth on the exact species. It's dark skin resembles a flathead, but the silvery sides and white underbelly indicate channel. There's a slight shovel shape to it's head, but there's also a slight fork in it's tail. So I'm thinking baby flathead and John says dark colored channel. It didn't look at all like the bullhead we saw the other day in that lake, but who knows anymore. So what do you guys think? (sorry if it's hard to tell with the pictures)

After that I was on an adrenaline and excitement high. We rounded out the trip with another larger carp and decided to call it an evening. Another fantastic trip at St. Vincent Lake. I do believe we'll be headed back there again tomorrow. Why break a great streak like this? :big_smile:

Here are a few fun pictures, including the new fishing rod air freshener John gave me. I'll put a few extra pictures for ID help in the next post.

Attached Files:

2. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Helpful ID pictures. I hope. :lol:

Attached Files:

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Way to go, Kris! And I like your hat, I got the same one in the same color!!

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on your first catfish Kris!! Way to go. Looks like a bullhead to me.

5. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Thanks guys! Bullhead it is. We keep hearing a bunch of stories about what's actually in the lake, so we don't know who to believe. :tounge_out:

And thank you all for the congrats!

Tom - I know it's not as nice as your wife's first catfish, but the first ones are always exciting anyway. :wink:

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Oh Yea - it's on now Kris - you broken the ice".:0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Yep, thats a bullhead, congrats on your first

8. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Looks like a brown bullhead to me. Congrats on the catch. :big_smile: I got the same problem in the local lakes here. caught a 14 pounder that had the coloration of a channel, but the big shovel shaped head screamed bullhead... the only other possability is blue cat, but don't know if there's supposed to be any of those in this lake. Most of the brothers say it's either a real skinny channel cat or a cross 'tween channel and bullhead.

9. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Way to go, Kris :big_smile: :lol:

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    More specifically, it resembles a Brown Bullhead which accounts for its bigger size then say a Black Bullhead ( sometimes called a Yellow Belly Cat) The mottled back , thick head and what looks like a rounded tail are unique to this species, a channel would have a forked tail and be more silver with black spots on it.
    A quick Google search found this under "Bullhead Pictures"
    http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=22&?AID=1255

Way to go, I wish I had a good Bullhead pond......:eek:oooh:

Salmonid

11. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Yay, Kristine!!! Nice bullhead!:big_smile:

12. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Kistine, congrats on your first catfish. Can you tell me where that air freshener was purchased at?

13. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I definitely agree. It was hard to tell in comparison to pictures and sighting of the other local catfish at first, but we found some better pictures online too.

John found that air freshener when we stopped by his aunt's house to pick up his old fishing stuff. He told me that he got it originally a few years back at the Outdoor Show in Harrisburg, PA. So that's going to make finding replacement scented fish a bit difficult. If I find out how to get them, I'll let you all know. :smile2: