Another great fall night and TWO New PB's!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Flatheadhunter33, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey Everyone!
    Got out last night on the Colorado river and found out first hand how good the fall bite is going right now! My buddy Chris got the pontoon on the water before I got off work and found a good hole for 'gills and filled the tank up with bait. I got off work and hauled butt straight to the dock where I met up with him and a few other fellas from out of town, really cool guys Brian from California and Dave from Okinawa (yep you read it right). Both guys just wanted to kick back on the water and drink a few cold ones so Chris and I did all the fishing while Dave turned out to be one heck of a cook. He kept us all fed on some really good bratwursts and short ribs:dribble:.

We first hit a hole that I wrote about in another post where we had hooked into an amazing fish (I call her Nessie:crazy:) that pulled our boat around before it broke off. Last night we were there for a few minutes and the wind kicked up something crazy! Long story short here, we got beat up by the wind and boom! Something hits one of Chris' rods and before he could get to it, the entire rig (including the holder) are in the water being pulled to the murky depths! Nessie 2, catfishermen 0....

We hit a few more holes with a little luck on some good sized ones. One hole we hit was approx 19-22ft deep drop from a 10-12ft shelf. I got my new personal best out of here. It was a heck of a fight! This fish ran quite a few times before I could get a look at it and Chris got it in the net. Beat my old Pb by a good bit!! Once again, I didnt get to weigh it since I failed to get a scale:beat_brick::beat_brick::beat_brick:!!! Again, I wasnt going to kill something so magnificant as this fish just to satisfy my ego...got pics and let it go.

After no more action here, we moved off to another hole that was another steep drop off to 22-24ft at the inlet to a back river cove. I killed 'em on one of my ugly sticks, pulling a nice stringer of smaller ones out with. All on the same rod with none hitting Chris'. I was obviously in the "sweet spot" of the hole...When I could ignore my bladder no more, I get up to go relieve myself and BOOM! Same rod, same spot! Chris grabs the pole and another good long fight was on...when I saw it come up to the boat, I knew it was the biggest one yet! We got it on boat and everyone is high fiving and acting as if we had won some money!:smile2:

This fish was built like a tank and heavy! Again, I dont know how much it weighed since we didnt get the scale...took some pics and let it go back home...took some pics with the stringer and let them go too except for one that died from taking the hook too far down. For some reason cut bait was the bait of choice over live. Heck we even had left over 'gills that we let go this morning before we left. A great, great night!

Side note: this might have been my last trip out with my fishing buddy and best friend (aside from the my wife). Chris recently got a job offer for a position on the mainland Japan. So yeah, my buddy (and brother) that I have served in combat in the desert with and combat on the water to find the biggest flatheads for years, is moving on to bigger things. Looks like I'm looking for a new partner...:0a14:. On a lighter note though, since the biggest of the fish was caught by Chris but on my rod, I claim half the fish!:smile2: Not my rule! Chris made this up a while back when I caught a good one on one his! Please enjoy the pics and tell me how much you think the big ones weighed?

Attached Files:

2. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    more pics of mine

Attached Files:

3. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Pics of Chris' fish! I had to pick him up since Chris was still shaking from the fight:big_smile:! He's gonna kill me:smile2:!!

Attached Files:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats Great Dameon!! Great story too. Congrats. I would guess him at 20-22 lbs. A real nice fish. You still have some time left, so go get another one. Good luck on findin a new partner. If I was close enough I would step up.

5. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Nice stringer of flatties! All were released afterwards except for one that bled out...

Attached Files:

6. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    wow, those are some great fish!!!
    sorry about you lossing your fishing partner :sad2:
    But, atleast you had a good time

7. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Great fish man, sounds like you had a hell of a time.

8. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good mess YUM YUM.

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Sounds like yall had fun. Maybe next time the other guys might want to grab a pole. Congrats on the new PB's:big_smile:

10. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Dameon, great job brother on all the flatties. It hard to tell weight on them but I'm guessing 25 -30lb range. Thanks you can sure tell a story and great pictures to boot. GET A SCALE ITS A PRIORITY MY FRIEND. :big_smile:

I have always said ''fall fishing for flats is the best'' :big_smile_2: Congrats on PB

11. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I cant give REPS right now, have to spread some around. But they will be coming in a few days. :cool2:

12. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Way to go Brother! You had a heckuva night. I'd say that biggest one could possibbly top 30??? Hard to tell with pictures. If you catch more before you get yourself a scale at least get you some length/girth measurements. There are L/G to lb. conversion charts for fish by species that are said to be accurate +or- 1 lb. Nonetheless great work! Your really making it look easy. :worship:

13. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    Way to go--and thanks for sharing the stories and pics:cool2:

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I sent "nessie" some reps, but none to you this time Dameon! :big_smile: Just kidding, reps to YOU and Nessie! I'd love to be your fishin' pard, but AZ is a little to far to drive from SC! :wink: If this "losing Nessie" practice continues, I may have to make an exception and drive on out! :big_smile::wink:
    Bill in SC

15. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Nice fish Dameon, Ya'll are wearing them out. Congrats.

16. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Great story!! Looks like you fish from an awesome boat. You also just reminded me that I keep forgetting to pic up a scale......Thanks!

17. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Good news...Dave (the guy from okinawa) got tired of hearing Chris' empty promises to pick up a scale and aerator and got both of them today while at walmart. What a guy...a good boat cook and he picks up supplies! :big_smile:

18. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Man that is an EXCELLENT NIGHT!! Can't wait to have one like that! Congrats and good luck in the future

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a great trip. I'd put your fish a bit over 20 and maybe 30 or a hair less for the other, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for sharing the great story!

20. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great Fish and congrats on the PB. Thats gotta be 25+ lbs. Just a guess. Looks like fall is being good to us so far. :cool2: