Another good night at hoover

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BGRUMBLES, Aug 14, 2006.

1. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Went out again in my boat last night. Landed 12 good fish...perfect eaters about 2-8 lb range. Lost two really nice channels....one on the fight and one at the net by the boat.....I was pretty ticked about losing the second one because I got my run right as we were heading in and it would have been the perfect end to a good time/night. Channel was about 16 pounds by judging....was odd because he ran hard then when I set it he came at me so I told my buddy it was another dink. I had not even taken the hook out of a fish I just landed when the rod almost took off the boat.....so he started with that fish and when that big one got to the boat he saw us and decided to fight. by that time I wasn't ready to land him so he was flopping on top of the water as my buddy was trying to ungaggle the net. Hook just came out....gamakatsu 5/0 and I set it pretty hard. All we could think was should have let him take it longer and get a deeper hook set. Anyway as usual all caught on shad. Still waiting on Truckin4x4 or Tea to get out there with me one morning....gotta get there 4AM.

2. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    nice fish man. iw ish that i could of came out that morning but things come up. well i might be aboul to make it out next week some time. i have to take some hunting safty cources with my little cousin wend, thur, and sat. so i won't be aboul to make it this week. but hoping next week.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on some good fishing brother, you need to come out Saturday with us man. Let me outfish ya, tieing is no fun. LMAO

4. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    lol Tea....I am gonna try to come saturday for sure. I gotta work sat. night so will have to take off earlier than most but I should have time to get after a few. You know if there are any Horsepower regulations at CJ brown?

5. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    wish i could make it guys:sad2: but i think that i'm going to have a good time taking this hunting safty couse with my cousin so its alright. ben maybe one morning next week we can make it out. whats good for you?

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Unlimited horesepower on CJ brown............Doc

7. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rob...we can get out next week perhaps...it is finals week so I will have to check on what day my last final is. I take one this thursday and I am done with that course....then I take one next tuesday for sure...and then one on either monday or wednesday not set in stone...thursday morning I think would work out ok for us. Try to bank on that. As usual once the plans are made I will go one way or the other so let me know if you can't come and I will talk around. As for now lets try to count on thursday morning if that is cool? Take care rob

Ben

8. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    yeah next tursday is fine with me. i will put it on the calinder.

9. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    went out again last night by myself and had the best night yet. Boated fifteen, 8 good ones. missed two for each one I caught easily on shad runs. I need to pick up some bigger equipment because these bigger blues coming from 27 feet of water are fighting a bit much for my lighter tackle. I had one catfish edition ugly stick that did ok with a 12 pound blue....but it still fought real hard. the water at hoover is real clean and some locals have said that is another reason they fight so hard. who knows....just fun to catch them..... ALSO caught my first flattie on hoover last night too. Was a little guy but kind of hilarious how it happened. missed a fish and checked my bait to find fragments of shad so I just hooked it all together and when I casted it he took off with it before it even hit the bottom.

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is awesome bro, by yourself and caught all those fish.....hmmmmmmm :embarassed: LMAO

11. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    matt i'm going to try to make it out with him next week one day. hope well have a good time catching some cats to

12. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio

Yeah I know maybe sounds far fetched....but the truth is I missed more than I caught...wait til Rob gets out there with me and you will hear about it. I may run out again tonight for a few hours. The fish I have been catching I give to the pub I help out at. They have a catfish fry weekly, usually on thurs. or friday. Tonight i am going to be helping them clean and filet the rest of the fish. They soak them in saltwater over night and then fry them. Anyway in late sept. I get a big check and I am getting a digital then...so you will see LMAO. Anyway, I caught a bunch of smaller ones then I got into the bigger fish all at once. There were 5 fish that were real good sized. Only crappy part is the blue cats were fighting like you wouldn't believe and for a 8 to 10 pounds worth of fish I was real surprised. The two channels that were good sized that I caught didn't fight as hard as the blues. Tea you can come to the pub too and see....these guys don't mess around with the catfishing....let me know if you want to.

BEN

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rob I can guarantee you 100% if we hit this hole I have that we will get at least 15 SOLID runs between us. With that we should be able to hook up with at least 7 to 8 fish no problem....that is guaranteed. I am going to actually try a different approach using circle hooks....last time I will try. With the intensity of these fish i think circles will give me a better hook up ratio because overall I am at bout 50% now. I just will have to find circles that are 6/0 or bigger. The other thing is I will have to use pole holders on the boat instead....or I can just let them take off with it llike they have been doing and just close the bail and let them hook themselves. Only problem with that is that I am under the impression that circle hooks work initially based on the hit, turn, and run method. Also got a good hit on bottom off a little bluegill but shad are by far the bait of choice here. Anyway we will have fun that is the bottom line. Take care

Ben

14. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio

hey buddy i can't wait till i get out on that boat. my back has been hurting me quite a bit this week but i will be going out with you next week for sure. i have a couple real big pole for those blues. i still don't know if i'm going to try those circle hooks. but for sure were going out this week coming up. i don't know how it's going to be but i might be aboul to go sunday night or monday morning if you can. well youn did say that you had a exam to study for. well see.

15. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You two need to come out to CJ Saturday, it is gonna be a blast with some good eatin and fellowship.

16. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    matt i would love to but i'm takeing this hunter safty course with my little cousin and i have her all weekend. need to spend some time with the wife to. she thinks that i have been fishing to much latly. and i haven't seen her much latly eather. but do you still have that combo for sale? i might want it if you still have it down the road

17. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah Rob, it is still for sale. If it is not sold by the National I am gonna take it there and try and swap it out.

18. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    matt thats cool, but if you still have it when i'm ready to buy i might be interested

19. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am new to this site. I myself live in westerville, OH. Where did you catch the blue and the flathead? Also, are there and hot fishing spots around hoover?

20. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a question, was the blue cat caught at hoover or were you fishing in another lake?