Another good day on Truman Lake

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Fished today on Truman and caught somewhere around 20 blue cats (plus a couple of channels just for good measure), biggest was just under 10 lbs, most were nice eating size if one were so inclined (I wasn't and returned them all to grow into monsters...) The weather was just about perfect - overcast, low 50's and nearly calm winds.

If you're not out fishing on Truman or LOZ, you should be -- I fished 5 different spots today and caught fish at every single one of them, had a fish on the line within just a few minutes of tossing out my bait at almost every hole. I'm fishing in the old river channels, in about 50 feet of water - doesn't matter exactly where. Just drive around watching the sonar and find places where the bottom 15 or 20 feet of the water column is solid with fish, then anchor, beach or tie up to a tree and fish that spot. Use big hunks of bait, big circle hooks, 2 or 3 oz of weight and tight-line using a medium-heavy rod and you're almost guaranteed to have success.

The challenge is in finding shad - they're all deep, just like the fish. So look for them in 30 to 40 ft of water and get a big, fast-sinking throw net with a long lead line (I use a 9 ft radius net with 5/8" mesh - sinks like a rock but I need more line so it can go deeper). You have to learn to recognize bait on the sonar and then be able to position the boat before you throw and keep the boat in position after the throw so that you're right over the net as it sinks -- throwing blind works in the summer time, but if you do it now, it'll do nothing but wear you out and frustrate your efforts. I spent just over 2 hours today looking for bait, finally hit the jackpot and got about 50 in one throw so I was off fishing.

The day ended on a very sour note that I won't go into here. Just suffice it to say that my boat now has some seriously bent alumium and I'm lucky to be here typing this... :eek:oooh:

Get out and fish if you have the chance!

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Sounds like a good day to me even with a banged up boat. Now the rest of those scratches and dents won't matter as much...you already took the pressure off by beating it up today.:cool2:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Marty,

Great post with good information!

Sorry to hear about the boat taking a bruise :sad2:

Paul

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    We're glad to have you back Marty! That was a little scary by the sounds of your story last night.

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Glad to hear your OK, how bad off is your boat?

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    You touched two areas that I need to learn more about. Finding fish with the sonar and catching deep shad. I have never caught deep shad, but that seems to be the answer. Did your sonar register a ball or independent cloud for the shad? I have never fished that deep, but it should work for Mark Twain lake up in my area. MT is a deep lake. Sorry about your mishap. Hannibal Mike

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I meant to start the sonar recorder on my Lowrance but forgot to. Next time I'm out, I'll bring back some recordings and post a few screen shots.

Shad shows up on sonar as a mostly solid mass, big schools will be several feet thick (5 to 20 ft thick) and you'll see fish arches above and below the shad, representing game fish feeding on the shad - could be catfish, walleye, hybrids, etc. on Truman. Steve Brown says you can tell the size of the shad based on the way they look on sonar - I'm not good enough at it to distinguish by size, but I can tell you that I threw the net many times into very obvious shad balls and came up empty, due to the small shad escaping through the mesh of the net.

The last several times I've been out, the water column was devoid of fish when the bottom was less than 25 ft deep or so. But as soon as you move into 35 to 50 ft of water, the fish are everywhere, starting at about 25 to 30 ft deep and continuing to the bottom. Even in some deep water you will see no fish at all. But keep following the river channel and they'll turn up eventually.

Truly the most difficult part (as I mentioned in my first post) is catching bait - a small net (under 7 or 8 ft radius), a light-weight net (less than 1 lb of weight per radius foot) or a small-mesh net (I wouldn't use anything less than 1/2", preferably 5/8" mesh) won't cut it in this application - by the time the net gets down to 20 or 30 feet, it will have collapsed in on itself. A large, heavy and large-mesh net will tend to sink more like an umbrella. And of course, rocks and submerged trees are always a hazard - I destroyed a brand new net two trips ago on about the fourth throw. Always carry a spare net with you!

And thanks all for the sympathies regarding the boat. It's torn up a little bit but I guess that beats reading my obituary...

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Doug and I went to Truman today. Caught eight fish ranging from 3-10 lbs and one 20 lber. Lost several more in the rocks and trees.

Thanks Marty for the heads up.

Attached Files:

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nice fish but I've only got one thing to say. Hurry UP May!!

10. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    Mr. T,
    Thanks for the help in finding winter shad. I would appreciate the sonar pictures if you get them. I just bought a new net, unfortunately it is an 8ft. one with 3/8 mesh. I fish the upper Gravois arm.

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    If it's an 8ft radius, it'll work fine. Just tie on another 25ft of rope to it and let her sink all the way to the bottom.

12. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Well for our first outing for winter blue cats on Truman, I don't think Brad & I did too badly. It was unfortunate we were chased off of the lake by the weather, as I think we could have ended up with a bunch more cats. The next thing we need to learn is about burping the catfish. We were pulling them out of 40-50ft water, and they were seriously bloated. Some of the fish let out some of the air by themselves, but others needed help. We had nothing in the boat other than a pair of stainless needle nose pliers, which we ended up gently inserting through the mouth into the stomach. It worked, but probably not the best tool to use.

Would like to see again some of the methods used to burp the catfish.

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Doug, try a piece of small diameter PVC pipe with all the sharp edges filed off and sanded smooth.:wink:

14. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    You guys are making me want to uncover the old boat and go to truman.

15. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    What mile marker on the upper Gravios? Anywhere by the 7/mill creek area?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Well you better hurry up - winter is supposed to arrive later this week and that may be the end of it for a while!

17. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea Marty ,I put new bearing on the trailer, new lower unit oil,changed plugs,and ran stabil though the motor.Now its suppose to start winter ,hard to pull the boat up the ramp with ice on it

18. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty you might put in briefly around Warsaw for shad there are still some shallow schools here on LOZ. Great time for catfishing! I'm going as soon as the wind lets up!

19. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the info Ron - I've heard there are shad to be found on the upper LOZ, just couldn't decide if the time spent launching and pulling out was worth the effort. Won't be long I'll bet until the harbor at Warsaw is loaded with shad and then it'll be easy pickins...

Was planning to go fish later this week but the wind is supposed to stay pretty stiff so doubt I'll make it. Next week is out as I'm getting laser eye surgery, so it'll probably be the end of the month before I can get out again -- provided that the lake doesn't freeze solid by then!

BTW - for anyone keeping track of my "bruised boat" saga, I'm happy to report that my insurance company came through and is buying me a new hull... Nobody could be more surprised about that than me. But I'll take it. Hope it doesn't jack up my rates though...

20. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Marty sorry to hear about your boat. Usually around the second week in Feb. the fishing heats up down here and stays good till the spawn. This year we may not have a "slow" spell. That would be great since the spring wasn't as good as usual last year due to low water.
    I've been tied up due to a hard drive failure last week I didn't get out during the great weather. SATA hard drives may be all there "cracked"(as in broke) to be. I loved it for video but I've never crashed an IDE Seagate in 30 years of messing with these things. I saved most of my really valuable stuff but all those video editing programs are a pain to reinstall and reverify(I haven't done it yet). I thought at first I might get away with a format and a reinstall but the drive is unreliable and crashed again after a reinstall. I put a 400G Seagate IDE drive in and am back up and running. I think leaving it on 24/7 may have contributed to the failure(internet updates etc.) with the drive being accessed so frequently. I have always left my cpus on though.

I hope to get out soon and catch some fish or just get out and about. See ya on the water!