Another good day on the Mississippi River

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Gordhawk, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well,my good friend from Cedar Rapids came down again yesterday,and we had another good day of fishing on the Mississippi River down here at Montrose,Iowa. We caught 28 nice channel cats,released 20 of them that were 5# or better and I kept 8 nice eating size fish that I gave to the people that let me store my boat in their garage. I hope to get out at least 1 more time,but the weather forecast for next week doesn't sound very good and I need to get my boat cleaned up before I put it away for the winter. So,I suppose yesterday might have been my last trip out this year. If it was,it was a helluva way to end the year!

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Living that far north i bet it's hard to see the fishing season end but it sounds like you ended it with a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Glenn, glad you had a good day. what was you using for bait? Later Andy

4. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Glenn,

Glad to hear that you got out one last time if nothing else. Between the water levels, weather, working 7 days a week, and my fishin partner having a baby I think my year has come to an end!!!

Good luck gettin' out one more time!

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Glenn, was wondering what did you use for bait, how deep did you find them and what was the water temp. Sounds like you had an awesome day, if it be your last for the year than what a great way to end it. Thanks for sharing it and releasing the big ones.

6. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Man, Ive always wanted to fish the Mississippi! Sounds like a great time. glad to hear you let some of the mature guys go.
    Linz

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We were using shad for bait,water temp,53degrees,and we caught them in various depths of water ranging from 5'-22'.

8. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good Lord I'll say -

9. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm hearin' ya. Sounds like a wonderful day on the water. We had one similar last Sunday here at Red Rock lake. Caught a bunch of channels, but kept only a dozen. If that was our last weekend, (not sure yet), what a way to go out for the 2007 season. It has been one of , if not the best, season(s) we have ever had. Will make for some reel good memories and of course stories.

:big_smile:

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Glen I will try to refrain from callin you and messin with your trip:big_smile_2:But I had to know since I was a stones throw from ya....

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny,
    That was not a problem when you called me last Thursday. I think I told you to call me if you were working up around Montrose,didn't I. Were you guys burning some brush down there that day? I seen some smoke coming from that area when we were fishing our last spot that day,which wasn't too far from where you were working. Good to hear from you again,it's been a day or two.
    TTYL,
    Glenn

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    been real busy this weekend getting our new van running and on the traikler so I havnt been on the ole coumputer much........................WE wasnt burning that was north of us a wee bit,

13. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Kenny,
    Sounds like you have been plenty busy. What kind of van do you have? We used to have a conversion van that we really liked. They are sure nice to travel in. Sounds like the trailer project is coming along nicely. I'm going to be putting my boat in storage for the winter,this weekend.
    TTYL,
    Glenn