Another good day for Channel Catfish - Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 3, 2007.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Salmonid and i fished a stretch of the Great Miami River this morning for about 4 hrs where i used to target cats during the summer months, but never have during the winter. there were 3 areas i had in mind that were the deepest spots in the stretch, deepest being 15ft. we started off at the furthest hole upstream where we got almost all our fish. upon arriving we quickly started getting hits and catching fish. we missed and lost about a dozen more due to being too quick on the draw, the fish were in 37 degree water and werent taking the baits very hard. the sonar showed fish stacked up there thick in 13ft of water, and while we sat there fish were constantly moving through. fish were biting all through the area with the most hits comming from the 6-8ft flats adjacent to the deep hole. Mark caught 6 and i only got 1 in about an hour before we got the bright idea of moving and trying other spots. BAD IDEA! he got 1 more and missed a few others but i had to be out of there by noon so we couldnt go back upstream to our new honey hole. was using small chunks on shad on 3-way swivel/circle hook rigs. here are a few pics... http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3002.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3010.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3004.jpg http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n277/dinkbuster1/100_3006.jpg

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good job Dink. Those look like they could have landed in the freezer. (Remember.... Call me,I'll help eat them!) :big_smile:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good job! looks like you guys had fun!! rollo

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Sounds like a great time you all had.

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Wow that's some cold water :crazy: The water temp was 56 when I was fishing last week & I thought that it was cold :smile2:

6. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yesterday morning on our way out we hit the mouth of the GMR and the water temp was 43 when we got out into the ohio the water was 49

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    by the way congrats on the fish

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good job on the fish.

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Looks like you guys had fun, im glad to see im not the only one that will put on 50 layers of clothes just to catch a catfish:smile2:

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    do you guys ever catch blues out of the great miami or is it mainly channels?

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    There are a few blues in the very lowest of the GMR but we were fishing upstream from the mouth about 50 miles near Dayton. Where we fished it is about 98% channels and the rare flathead every once in a while. Never seen a bullhead here in this area but I know they are there.

Salmonid

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    farthest north on the GMR i have caught a blue was in Hamilton. it was a small one too, bout 8lb.

13. catman37

catman37 New Member

State:
    ohio
    you guys are some brave men...way too cold for me! what was the temp out this morning...20..maybe less w/wind chill. awsome that you guys caught fish..they look like good eater sized channels.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Congrats guys, I am glad to see more posts on winter catfish. When we were kids everybody told us that they buried in the mud for winter. But we have been finding out the last ten years that just isn't so lol. Why do they always lie to the kids? Keep up the good work, this site needs more info on winter caught cats, thanks guys.

15. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    great looking fish and fit nice in a fry pan !!

16. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great guys glad you got into some fish.:wink:

17. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    skip, the lie to kids so they dont have to take you out fishin when its 20 degrees out lol :wink:thats what i told my kids when they were little id go but alone they would have been cold and in the car in 1/2 an hour lol, anyways congrats on the fish guys

18. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Nice mess of channels guys. Congrades to both of you`s.Randy

19. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks. i am going to try to post more pics of our winter channel trips this year, i target them more in the winter and early spring than in summer. no TURTLES to worry about either! :big_smile:

20. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    nice channels nice bunch of fish thanks for the post