Another good blue bait you may not know about.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by tbull, Nov 8, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey all, noticed the post before on a certain type of herring, there is also another type of bait I have had success with that some may or may not know about, its called Whiting. Here locally in Ohio you can get a 2lb bag of it at krogers. Basically its a fish in the frozen food section. I am sure many from abroad have different grociery chaines that carry this. It comes in long strips, and blues and channels love it. We use it alot in the winter, and some in the summer when bait is stubborn and hard to come by sometimes. I am sure it doesnt compare to shad, skips, and other herring, but it will catch you some fish. Its a great fail safe when you need bait fast. Hope this can help some out..

2. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the tip. BTW, how do you keep them on the hook? The type available here tends to be very mushy.

-- Rich

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

I buy smoked whiting. Its good smoked. but in pa, i havent seen it sold anyother way but then again I never looked for it unsmoked.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Its all about how you thaw it out, usually if you go ahead let it thaw slowly it stays on fine, infact I have a hard time getting it of the hook. But like anything else, if its refrozen over and over it tends to get a little tender.

5. sherlockian

sherlockian New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have used this whiting several times. The bag I buy is individually wrapped. The fillets are skin on but scaled. I cut them into 3-4 strips or chunks. The blues and channels will hit these pretty good when the water temp is warm enough.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Whiting may be an excellent bait; I've never tried it, so I don't know. But from comparing the scientific names of the numerous types of whiting here in the USA, to the herring, it looks to me like the whiting are more a type of cod than a type of herring.

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I think you are right on, I only tried it because there is a hot water discharge we fish in the winter time and there was guy slaying blues with Whiting, tried it and it didnt let me down.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Hey, there's nothing that says that a good baitfish has to be in the herring family.

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Fresh bait is always the preferred condition I want on my hook...if possible.

That being said...it's not always possible.

In the past I have tried to bag up shad when they are plentiful and freeze them for future use during leaner times after the water levels drop.

The result is a dried up...and no longer slimy version of what I had in mind.

I have found that by taking freezer paper...laying out a single layer of baitfish...and then making slices in them.

I then pour vegetable oil over them...enough that it soaks into the aforementioned incisions.

Lay another layer of freezer paper down...and commence to stacking a few layers one on top of the other.

Put the stack into a gallon sized sealable plastic freezer bag...and wrap with freezer paper...and then aluminum foil...to further protect against freezer burn. (Might be overkill...but it works)

This method keeps the bait more moist than just dumping them into a bag and tossing them into the freezer.

Works with gizzard shad, wild shiners, perch, and creek/river chubs....don't see it being any different with any other species.

10. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a great post I never thought of that, I am definatley going to try it.

11. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Whiting are salt water fish that usually hang out in the surf close to the shoreline. You can catch them, If you get a chance to fish the surf, with shrimp. And they are pretty good to eat too.

12. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    when you put your bait in a freezer bag fill it with water and then freeze it. won't dry out and stays fresh. Just make sure all parts are submerged in the water when you freeze it.

13. olecoon

olecoon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My preferred way to preserve medium to small shad is to take them from the net and put them in a ziplock baggie with just enough cornmeal to separate each one from the others. Add more corn meal as you fill the bag with fish. Then remove as much air as reasonably possible and zip the bag shut. Place the bag on ice till you can transfer it to the freezer. When you thaw the shad, they separate easily and don't seem to be quite as soft. Olecoon

Leave the real big'uns for seed

14. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Sounds like a good quick and easy bait to use when you are in a hurry or last minute fishig trip. I am going to try it out. I like to always try different baits out. Thanks

15. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Looks like a trip ta Krogers is in order............Thankx fer the heads up..........

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    add ocean perch to your list to try also. i have done well in the summer months in lakes where bait is hard to come by with it. take a look at my profile and you see a blue that was caught on ocean perch.:wink: i have used whiting also with good results. some folks call them va. mullet too. you can catch all the blues you want on a piece of ocean perch fillet and they wont get the bait off the hook. you have to tear it to get it off. makes the ol boat smell sweet the next day too.:smile2:

17. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Good info, but I prefer fresh usually and so do the cats...

18. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Trust me fresh is always my first choice, but frozen bait better than no bait.:cool2:

19. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    had nobody ever used Non-iodined salt and salted both sides of Shad and then frozen, i've been doing this for years and have caught blue's, i'm still using a bag of shad right now, that i netted freshly from the early summer, needless to say fresh is best, but still works for me

20. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Never tried that, I have heard of adding salt to a bait tank for live shad but not frozen, might have to try it thanks for the tip..:wink: