Another fuel pump question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Oct 1, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I have been told by someone that the fuel pump could be the reason this things shuts down at WOT, I am gonna go ahead and rebuild it, I took it apart last night and the thing looked new, as it should since I rebuilt it only a few months back. Getting a good stream into the jar, my question is should I hook this think up to a vaccum gauge just to be sure? Or would the boat have to be running at the RPM's the problem arrises at to see the difference in the psi's?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You should have been able to test the fuel pump by pumping the bulb when the engine started to slow down. IF it surged and picked up again, then the problem would be in the fuel delivery system. It's about $20.00 to replace all the fuel lines, $25.00 for a fuel pump rebuild kit, and then pull the pickup tube out of the fuel tank and inspect it for damage or for being plugged. Seems as though I'd shoot a PM to Bubbakat as he may not have seen your posts with his illness. He is back in the saddle now and should be able to tell you what to do.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats why I dont think its the pump, pumping the primer bulb makes no difference

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, try this....after the motor has ran and shut itself off, remove the drain plugs from the carb. bowls. If the fuel delivery system is right you will have fuel in each bowl. If you don't have fuel in one or more of the bowls, the float is probably stuck. I know you have cleaned the carbs, but it sure sounds like the float is sticking. By draining each bowl, you should be able to eliminate the entire fuel system. Then I'd say it was in the power pack.