Another Foodsaver Type Question.... Cut vs Whole Bait Fish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Jan 13, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For those of you like me that use foodsaver type systems, do you cut up you SkipJack, Shad, Suckers, Bluegills, etc... then put them in the bags or do you freeze the whole fish? I have been freezeing the whole fish, but recently cut a couple up. If the seal is good, I think this is the way to go becasue you can save so much more room. What do you guys think?

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    last year i started cutting off the tails of shad to make more room, besides the tail section is not a good piece of bait anyway for some reason. i wouldnt cut into the guts because that releases all the blood and aminos into the water and after you thaw them out you loose all of that good stuff.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I personally wouldn't cut them up because of the natural barrier that the skin provides (also helps to seal in freshness). If you cut them up the seal is broken and they won't last as long, JMO!

4. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I agree with Dreadnaught. I wrap my skips individually? in Saran wrap, then freeze them in a plastic bag (airtight as possible), for 15 to 24 hrs. I then vacuum seal the skips 2 to a bag. The instructions with my machine say that this is the best way. I think you would be sucking some of the "juices" out if you cut them first. I used a couple yesterday, and they were good as "fresh caught".

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have been using a vacuum sealer now for several years and at first i would freeze the entire fish but recently i have cut some up and have started cutting the tails off to make more room. i dont think it will make that big of a difference if you get a good seal.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Brought some spots back from the coast 3 yrs. ago. Cut off heads and gutted them stored in FoodSaver bags vacumed. Gonna give em a try next time I go catting. Will post results. Hope they work, I've got a bunch.

Guess I could always run then thru my barnd new dedicated $15 blender and use as stink bait.

7. bigkatking

bigkatking Member

State:
    ky
    NO IN MY OPINION IT IS ALWAYS BEST TO WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO USE THEM BEFORE YOU CUT THEM IT IS OK TO FREEZE THEM WHOLE