Another flathead question?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bhunt, Apr 26, 2007.

1. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Newby to flatheads and wondering were should I fish for flatheads in a lake? The lake I fish is 35 foot deep at the dam with a few humps. There are some coves 10-15 feet deep with standing timber and small creek channels. There is a large flat 5-12 feet deep with standing timber and one large creek channel running through it. I will be using jugs due to a trotline is to hard for me to run by myself. There are some big flatheads in the lake but im not sure were to start looking. Thanks for any help.

2. sharkn1979

sharkn1979 New Member

State:
    georgia
    find your bream or shad and the flatheads wont be far away

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    sounds like you have a really nice lake in your neck of the woods. the cove with the timeber and the creek channel would be my bet. the best thing i can tell you is to try diffrent spots on diffrent daysuntil you figure out which is best for your style of fishing. its all about trial and error. you try and try and try until you figure out what works for you. after that its pretty hard to be beat. try your coves first when the water is warm. any kind of structure should produce some fish. like was stated befreo also, find the baitfish, and you will find the big boys not far away

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I'd try at that dam you talked about with 35 ft deep water. I'd use live shad or bream on my jugs and drop the line all the way to the bottom.

5. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    You'll find that the time of day or night will dictate as to where they will be as well as where the food source is.Structure is always a good place to start, the problem with that and jug lines is they will tangle them fast so you have to be on your toes and get to them quick.Day time in the heat of the day they will be in the deeper cooler parts usually, and at night come out into the shallows to feed.Anything live is a good bet for the big boys gills,gold fish,carp,chubs,frogs,rats,mice,baby rabbits and chickens yes these are all baits that people use for large cats. Some I've used some I haven't my favorite is perch follwed closly by gold fish and small carp.Getting bait from the area you are fishing helps because they are use to it and redaly feed on it.Any kind of inlet that has water coming in is a good area for any type of fish to look for food that would be a good area especially after a rain with runoff coming into it.
    I'll stop rambling hope this helps
    Loop

6. Krypler

Krypler New Member

State:
    Texas
    Try fishing the dam most flat heads stay aroudn stumps or in holes so make sure it at the bottom

7. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Like sharkn said, find the bait fish. Cover is always critical, but a bit different in lakes/reservoirs compared to rivers. Without the conveyor belt of food coming down the river, flats are forced to follow and chase bait rather than wait and ambush. Where are the bait fish? Why are they there? That's what you've got to figure out on a day-to-day basis.

8. Chad32

Chad32 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    One more thing, Krypler had a good point, rocks such as jetties and dams offer good cover for bait - they're a good bet. What presentation are you using?

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would try fishing for them around trees.