Another Equipment Question

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by deanc, Jun 17, 2006.

1. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    I'm sure this has been asked many times but here it goes. What do you all recommend for a "Catfish" tackle box? It appears to me that there is "not" a large variety of tackle used in Flathead fishing.. Maybe a half dozen different hooks, some strong swivels (2 and 3 way), and sinkers (varying weights). The rest is pretty bulky stuff like line, pliers, knife, spare reel, etc. It seems like regular tackle boxes don't fit the bill. I wondered about a tool box with a tray and maybe a couple of compartments in the lid with covers for small stuff. Anyone have something that works well without having to bring a lot of tackle you don't need?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have two ways to carry tackle for cats the first is a soft side tackle box like a surf bag it has plenty of room for everything. and the second is a five gallon bucket with a bucket buddy on the inside and with a lid. hope this helps you.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I got a soft tackle box with a shoulder strap. It has four nice sized clear boxes inside. One for hooks, one for sinkers and swivels, one for corks, and one for misc. (stink bait tubes, panty hoses, ect.) It's also got side pockets on it for a knife, lighter, extra line and all that good stuff. Then when I want to pack REAL light, I have a little tiny double sided box I can fit enough tackle into to last me about five hang-ups :big_smile:. They're both real easy to pack around, and work real well. Hope this helps.

-Red

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use a fly fishing vest, bucket with lid, soft tackle bag with 3 boxes. But i usally carry enough. suff for 2 more people. At least 5 poles. 3 for cat ,2 for bait. digital scale, batteries, lights, pop,sandwich, bait, stringer, net,pole holders camera, radio, line, hooks, sinkers, bobbers, pills, kitchen
    sink, spare tire, tool set, change of clothes, sparesocks, spare shoes, small child to help carry it all. I like to go an a cafishin safari,
    Did I forget anything? Oh yea, reels,reeloil, glue, spare rod tips, glow sticks, matches, gun, bullets, spare car keys, Kitchen sink stopper, pillowand blankie, candy, different bait, knife, hatchet, scissors, fillet knife, 2knife sharpeners,cell phone, spare battery for cell phone
    Now does anybody want to go fishing ?

I didn' t think so.

MOTTO: be prepared

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Dean, I've switched over to a soft sided tackle bag and I really like it. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I could get into one. I just got one at Wal-Mart. I have also used a 5 gallon bucket if you have room for one they are hard to beat and they will multi-task.

ST

6. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    As I am frugal, or cheap if you will. I use diaper bags, vidio camera, reg camera bags, plus draw string item to store sinkers, extra reels and some hard
    cases for fish finders and other items I don't want broke. I use the clear sided
    plastic boxes in the soft cases. All of them have straps that you can put over your shoulder or handles you can carry. If I have to walk in I will also put them in a back pack where I can leave my hands free. All of these will cost from 25 cents to one dollar. Leaves more money for what I really would like to have.

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i took a back pack and bought some of those plastic trays from wal-mart and it works well for times when ya got to move around a little.i got hooks,weights,leaders,floaters,line...so forth and so on

8. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    Thank you all for the input. I'm going to try and rig a plain Stanley tool box for my Flathead tackle. We go through a lot of 4 to 6 oz weights when we fish our river and the tool box is pretty sturdy. It has about 4 compartments accessible from the outside of the lid so I can keep some hooks, sinkers and swivels handy. Lots of room inside for the larger stuff, extra line, pliers, knifes, rags, reel magic, stringer, and large floats. Not much else to carry for flatheads. I'll let you know how it works. Thanks again.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have a diaper bag from Wally World.It is made of really heavy duty Codora Nylon,and has "JEEP" on the side.Not only does it have waterproof pockets for wet gear,it has many pockets outside.There is also room for several small tackle boxes or containers inside.You can carry it and have both hands free for other uses,and you can WASH it! The women have been hiding this one from us.peewee-williams

10. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use a backpack for a laptop that I got from Wally world. it has all the room and different compartments that I need. I deffinetly carry to much stuff. Enough hooks for the whole year, same for sinkers, swivels, extra line, stringer, pliers, knives, scissors 2 pr, floats, scale, camera, tape measure, headlamp, flashlights, etc, etc, etc. It only wieghs in at 12 lbs fully loaded, and only cost 19.95.

11. SFG

SFG New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I like a backpack or any bag that has a shoulder strap to keep my hands free for all of the other stuff.