Another electrical/battery question.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Apr 10, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Mark can probably help me out with this, but I am sure others can too. My motor charges the battery while running, and I have pull start, so battery charge is never really a big concern, but I am switching to a larger trolling motor, so I want to add another battery for it, and I will probably run everything except lights from it as well. (bilge pumps. aireator pumps, depth finder, etc.)

So here is my question. Can I use the motor to charge BOTH batteries, and how exactly do I hook the second battery up to recieve the charge from the motor? Can I use a switch so it is not charging 100% of the time? The reason I do not want it charging 100% of the time is due to the interference with the fish finder.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Yep.

Use a deep cycle battery for the trolling motor and charge it at home. You don't need to charge it all the time on the water.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

I have a deep cycle battery, but my main concern is with a whole weekend of fishing, that trolling motor can suck the juice out of it pretty good, especially with pumps and such. I will not always have the luxury of taking the battery charger for a weekend trip, especially camping primative. That is why I was wanting the ability to charge with the motor if need be.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The answers are yes and yes.The QUESTION is how big an alternator does your engine have?I would think about doing this if you dont have at least 30 amp alt.You can buy a switch from West Marine that will do the job.In fact go to West Marines catalog and they cover these switches ,charging and lots more that will answer all your questions.My boat has a Perko switch that allows selection of one ,two or all batteries.This allows you to isolate one battery for starting (and charging) or select two which will also charge both when the engine is running IF you have sufficient amps.Run your trolling motor off of battery 2,then switch back to 1 for starting.NEVER switch off while the engine is running.In my opinion the best battery you can buy for trolling motors is the TROJAN SCS 225.This bad boy is a series 31 with 225 minutes of reserve capacity which is the most you can buy.That is almost 4 hrs of continous running at 25amp draw.!!!!!!!!Nothing even close to that.Good luck.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill