Another drift weight question

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nanny patrol, Feb 12, 2009.

1. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Ive got about 500 yards of 7 strand US mil. parachute chord just layin around and need some weights, so I ordered 5 LBs of #4 buckshot. When I went to make them I couldnt get the lead to go into the chord (yes, I removed the innards and am using the shell part of the rope). My ? is... Is there more than 1 size para chord ? Maybe you can tell me where to get the right size chord. Thanks for the replys:eek:oooh::smile2:

2. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    CALL CATAWBA BAIT AND TACKLE ON INDIA HOOK RD, ROCK HILL,SC. THEY HAVE THE CORD YOU NEED. IT IS MUCH BIGGER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE, I WAS JUST THERE YESTERDAY AND BOUGHT SOME.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
  4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yes there are different sizes. I've ordered from several different places and even have some donated straight from a paratrooper, and there are different sizes. I usually order everything from Fisherman Shack, as mentioned above, and have used the one from Catawba Bait and Tackle, but they aren't online, so it is more expensive for me. Vtarmynavy.com has a larger 1/2" size, too.
    There is a thread that shows how to make them, and some folks just use hollow braided shoe laces if you can find them. Another way is just to pour them full of small birdshot (#8/9) instead of buckshot.

5. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
  6. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
  7. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC

Robert O'dell at Catawba Tackle and Marine at (803) 366-7998 has all the materials to make drift weights. I got him stocking the materials years ago. Since you have the right size buckshot just get him to send you the cord we use to make the weights with if you live to far away to go there.
    The way I make my weights go to an Archery Shop and take one pellet of buckshot with you. Get a piece of arrow shaft that the buckshot will just go down thru. Cut the shaft about 10 inches long. Then take the shaft to anywhere that sales cooking or baking supplies and get a small funnel that you can put onto the end of the arrow shaft permanently. The end that you will be sticking into the weight material cut it onto a 45-degree angle, and then make sure it is smooth. Get you a piece of metal rod long enough to reach down thru the shaft and however long your drift weight material is to make the weight you want. Melt one end of the material in a candle and take a pare of pliers and squeeze it together. Then cut it 1/2 inch longer than how many shot you want to put into it. Put your funnel in the open end and push the buckshot in until desired weight, then seal in candle flame and go fishing.

8. Capt. Darryl Smith

Capt. Darryl Smith New Member

State:
    SC
    Robert O'Dell at Catawba Tackle and Marine at (803) 366-7998 has all the materials to make drift weights. I got him stocking the materials years ago. Since you have the right size buckshot just get him to send you the cord we use to make the weights with if you live to far away to go there.
    The way I make my weights go to an Archery Shop and take one pellet of buckshot with you. Get a piece of arrow shaft that the buckshot will just go down thru. Cut the shaft about10 inches long. Then take the shaft to anywhere that sales cooking or baking supplies and get a small funnel that you can put onto the end of the arrow shaft permanently. The end that you will be sticking into the weight material cut it onto a 45-degree angle, and then make sure it is smooth. Get you a piece of metal long enough to reach down thru the shaft and however long our drift weight material is. Melt one end of the material in a candle and take a pare of pliers and squeeze it together. Then cut it 1/2 inch longer than how many shot you want to put into it. Put your funnel in the open end and push the buckshot in until desired weight, then seal in candle flame and go fishing.

9. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for all the replies

10. TrophyCat

TrophyCat New Member

State:
    Berea,Ky
    Been using 1/4 inch cord from Gladding Braided Products with 00 Buckshot, 12 plus swivel gives me a 1.5 oz. sinker.