Another decent fish.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by USE TO BE, Jun 28, 2008.

1. USE TO BE

USE TO BE New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught this 41 lb. Flathead last night.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, he was gut hooked. He must have inhaled and swallow the bluegill pretty fast. He ran really slow for about 10 sec then he picked up the pace - that's when I set the hook. I could see about half of the hook in his gullet, but I just couldn't get it out without ripping up his throat. I ended up having to leave it in him. He seemed fine when I turned him loose. I hope it makes it. Will the black nickel finished King Kahles rust out? I feel awful about it, but I guess that will happen from time to time.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Nice flathead! Unfortunate about the gut hooking, hopefully the big guy will be ok.

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    great fish David! I'm sure the fish will be ok. the hook should rust out. :wink:

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    ive got a 3 and a 4 lb. flathead in my bait tank.both fish swallowed the hook.they have been doing fine for 24 hours and yesterday i was trying to catch one to show a friend and it bit me just like it was on the nest.i hope they make it and hope yours does to.im watching the hooks to see how long it takes for the hook to go away.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the Great Flathead!!! I also hope he makes it ok, I believe he will though!!!

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is one great looking fish. I am sure that hook will go away some how. These fish eat some pretty rough stuff and it don't seem to bother them too much.

7. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the great flathead. Hopefully the hook will rust out. You did the right thing by leaving the hook in it and letting it go.

8. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

Personally I wouldn't have worried about the hook because I would have cleaned him.
    :big_smile:

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Anyway.......

Great Flathead and I would have done the same. It'll be fine! Thanks for the post

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice decent fish.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    You did the right thing. By trying to get the hook out, you may have killed it. Let's hope she'll be OK!