Another decent day on the Great Miami River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Montgomery, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    well 2 for 2 so far this year. im weating this nice weather up. and the cats seem to like it to. went to the same spot today. this time didn't get out until 2 pm. stayed until 6 pm. didn't do bad. all the fish i have seemed to catch have been adult sized. all around 16 to 18 inches i would say. good eaters.i've been cleaning them and vacum sealing them for a big fish fry. im really wanting to chase some flatties this spring. but big bait scares me some . fishing the great miaim . for those of you who fish it . to use a 3 to say 9 or 10 inch live fish. what size hook and sinkers should i use . and how to hook them. any advice would be great. i got pictures of my fish just dont know how to post them .. well good luck everyone this year. i blan on posting my fishing reports or success or lack of all year. and am looking forward to reading all your alls info as well.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for small to med. size baits i like a 5/0 hook.. for med size like 6 to 12 in. i like an 8/0 or 9/0 gama.... i cant spell it...ha ha.... j style hook.. circles and kahles i use also...alot depends on what bait your using and where your hooking them.

3. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yea, I have to agree with you, 8 or 9 gamas have been perfect for me so far.

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike if you are gonna Flathead fish don't buy anything smaller than 8/0 gammakatsu's. I bought a ton of 8's 9's and 10's in bulk a few years ago (about 100 of each) and the only ones I still have left from that batch are the 8's. Last year when I re-bought I only got 10/0 hooks. Flats aren't shy and bigger baits mean bigger fish.

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Don't be afraid of using big baits, a 6 to 9 inch bait for me is mid to small range. A big bait is a 13 inch plus crappie, shad, carp, sucker, bass, channel, bullhead.... All you need is a 4 or 5 OZ sinker and a rod that can toss em out. In the river toss your baits close to the bank, one in 2ft of water the next out 6 or 7 ft. In the spring they cruise the bank looking for food and spawning sites. If you cast out more than 20 ft you are missing 80% of the fish.

6. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    S-man-- When I go to Ellis lock, I usually go down below the the ramp and try to cast to the far side of the river. I hook the Goldfish, Bluegill or bullhead just behind the dorsel fin with a 6/0 Kahle hook. Haven't had much luck. Should I stay to the ramp side of the river?

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This is what I do when I'm bank bound up at Ellis. ( 4 yrs of trial and error)
    Get the biggest shad you can with your cast net say 12 to 15 inches, hook that bad boy in the grisel of his nose and put on a 6 or 8 oz weight. Cast as far upstream as you can into the white water. Hope and pray the sinker will hold somewhere out in the scour hole roughly perpendicular from the end of the lock wall. If you can keep a bait down in there you only have to wait. Keep a tight line and walk down to your fishing spot. I have better luck in the scour hole than on the flat out from the ramp. But it isn't an every time bite there. I spent days in a row there back before the boat and would only catch a flatty 1 outta 20 trips. But they were generally in the 20 to 30 lb range.They are in there but you "must" get your bait as close to the face as you can. Somewhere between the face and the end of the lock wall. And use a big bait to keep the channels and gar off it.