another dam question...

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by mudcreeker, May 7, 2009.

1. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    Can someone explain to me if and why dam fishing is really that much better that fishing elsewhere in a lake? I see numberous threads here on it and see people fishing below the dams all the time. I have fished below them as well but just seemed to fight crowds, lose a lot of tackle and not catch a lot of fish. Are the fish bigger? Are they more prone to bite when water is being released? How much is too much water being released? I am still pretty amateurish when it comes to catfishin and don't want to be missing out on some good fishing. But curious if it is all just hype or really a good place to fish. Any ideas or opinions?

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    rooster, my understanding is that when they are releasing water from the lake there are lots of fish that go out with the water...and the same with generators. when that happens, there are many injured and dead fish as a result. that means easy feeding for all the fish in the river below the dam.

there is always good action when running water out of the tainter gates, and it always seems much slower when the gates are closed. after they open they gates it may take a couple of days for the fish to make their way up river to the dam, but they do come.

3. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Another plus that i see is the area below the dam will produce many different species, and fast action ,,,most of the time 1 rod is all you can handle...There are always times when it is slow and 2-3 rods will be needed,,,,
    You can fish it from bank,, and not have to do much walking'' if you have found your sweet spot at your favorite lake,, the same thing can apply.

at some lakes the boaters tubing and sking will really get on your nerves,
    I have had rangers tell me if they are close enough to your fishing spot and you can hit them with your sinker- then do so

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar

That about sums it up.

5. mudcreeker

mudcreeker New Member

State:
    Antlers, OK
    OK, well that makes a little sense. I just wasn't sure what sure what all the fuss was about. I reckon I should give it another shot. Where is the better fishing at, as close to the dam as you can get or maybe a little further downstream?

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    when the fish are there, anywhere inside the rope that prevents boats from coming any closer to the dam is good. my best catches have come at the end of the wing wall. when it was slow there, fishing off the wall close to the dam was the best spot. hope this helps.

oh, if you fish off the wall it is, maybe 40 or 50 feet to the water. bring a basket with a rope to haul up any bigs ones you might catch:wink:

7. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    your best bet to whatever dam your at, look and watch the locals even get right in there and question them, on their tactics, there's always someone willing to give advice

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that's how i learned, Matt.....an old codger next to me was tearing 'em up and i was catching squat.....i watched what his tackle was and where he was fishing...i copied him and started whooping 'em! he laughed at me said "i was wondering when you were gonna catch some":smile2:

i told him i had to learn his secrets to do it:wink:
    he had no problem with that.
    Good advice, Matt!