Another circle hook thread!!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Tat2demon, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    Last night was my first full night of using circles and just want to say I love 'em. We caught 7 nice channels and each one was a perfect hook right in the corner of the mouth. :big_smile:

Using an Okuma spinning reel with the baitrunner drag seemed to be perfect for these Gama 6/0 hooks. Let the fish run on the ultra light drag then flip the switch and the hook would sink right in.

Strangely, even with perfect hook ups on 4-8 pound channels, bullheads still seem to be able to completely swallow these larger hooks. :angry:

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Bullheads do that alot..they don't really run they yank and chew. I would stick with a regular j style for bullies and pull right when they start tugging your line.

3. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    were you using a sliprig and gut hooking bullheads? if so switch to a set rig and let the sinker set the hook for you(with the baitrunner on). then the strike will look like a scene from jaws.

4. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Oh I don't need any tips for catching bullheads.

I was hoping these larger hooks would keep the bulls away and just let me work on cats. Well it turns out you just catch larger bullheads. LOL

Maybe I need to increase to 8/0. May cut down on the bulls a little more.

I was using a carlina rig. At the risk of sounding like a total noob, what is a set rig?

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    8/0 octopus circles work great:wink:

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I believe MrMarkEdwards was referring to a rig where your sinker is free sliding on your line above your leader, also known as a fish finder rig.

I maybe wrong, but I believe he's getting at the point that Bulls can be a little lazy at times, so they will move up to the bait, take it in their mouth and instead of turning away and running with it, they will just lay there in place and commence to swallow the bait. If your hook is on a free flowing line they can get that bait pretty deep in their throat/gut before you know you have a fish on. Then when you do realize there's a fish on they have it so deep a gut hook is eminent.

For a circle hook to work the way it was intended the fish have to turn their head away and swim off, this pulls the hook into the mouth and then to the jaw where it catches them with the inward barb. If the fish doesn't turn and run then you can get deep hooks, or miss them all together.

One tip I'd offer you is to make sure you don't put too much bait on that hook. Cat fishermen are notorious for cramming bait on every available space the hook has to offer.. and this is counter productive with circles. You want the gap between the barb and the shank completely free and unobstructed. It may look like you don't have enough bait, or that there's a need for more because there's more hook showing.. and that's ok...

7. Tat2demon

Tat2demon New Member

State:
    Ah gotcha. Thanks much.