Another circle hook question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by puddle jumper, Nov 12, 2008.

What style of circle hooks

1. Inline

2. Offset

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Just wondering, you guys that use circle hooks do you use inline or off set hooks..
    Thanks
    Puddle

2. trlrman

trlrman New Member

State:
    texas
    been useing inline but tried some offset this last weekend they worked good also. will let you know more after this next week i am taking vac. and will have more time to check out the offsets.:wink:

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I have taken the time to bend the circle some when using live bait with sardines and chovies.... I haven't done that with my larger circles when fishing for cats, but I think that it does have an advantage .....

Bayrunner Ray

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I bought some 9/0 in-line circles and haven't really got to put them to the test yet. I just had back surgery and when I am able to go fishing again....I will try them out in hopes of avoiding one of my famous hook sets where I go flying backwards and landing on my rear-end. It will be hard not to jerk out of habit, but I think I can...I think I can...I think I can :smile2:

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I hear ya there John..... I got the back prob too..... It's not to bad when you pull back and set the hook.... its when nothing is there to stop you when its bad...LOL.... It's hard to resist when you see all thoes "Bass Boys" trying to rip a fish out of the water/structure in one giant heave on the line.... let the hook do it.... Some folks here let the hook and pole do it all...... I'm not that way myself.... got to pull on the fish and "set it myself"...:wink:

Bayrunner Ray

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have bent a couple myself and fished with them. Couldn't tell a difference.

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Oh, I gess I should have said in the beginning, but im using the 8/0 Gama's red straight hooks on blue's,, not that they have been doing bad, just wondering about the offset..:confused2:
    Thanks guys
    Puddle,,:cool2:

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've always been a big hook setter.....jerking like there is no tomorrow...trying to make sure of a good solid hook set. Last year on November 13...while fishing a Bluegill Head and guts combo....I just about lost my pole.......( before I got some good Heavy duty bank rod holders)I just had my pole at my feet and laid over my tackle box. The fish hit and took off with no warning what so ever and I grabbed my rod as the handle went into the water. The fish was stripping line off of the spinning reel. I grabbed it up and gave the hardest hook set of my life in all the excitement.....I busted my a$$ and landed flat of my back. However I held onto the rod and yelled...I got him boys ...I got him as the fish helped pull me back upon my feet....and the fight was on and ended with me taking a personal best Bluecat of 47.9 lbs....I am lucky to have landed him with such a hard hook set and only 20 lb test mono. I have often thought that Circles are the way for me in the future. I cant afford to land on my back any more.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    off set point has a much higher hook up ratio for me.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I have been using the inline #8 circle hooks with good results. Got come Team Catfish double actions on the way to try out. Maybe the best of both worlds.