Another Circle Hook Question

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyredneck, Oct 8, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What do most of you all prefer, flat or offset circles?? Seems I read somewhere (i think it was a striper fishing site) that the offset kinda defeats the purpose of a circle because a lot of hookups don't occur in the mouth. Anyone have some feedback on this?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=358521
    “………Eagle Claw Offset Circle - it's the offset part that makes this hook more dangerous. Even though the point angles in properly like a true circle, the offset in the hook will make the point more likely to grab flesh on the way out of the fish's stomach/throat………..”

http://www.charleston.net/news/2008/apr/06/circle_hooks_biggest_change_billfishing_36284/
    “……..Changes are in store when the South Carolina Governor's Cup Billfishing Series gets under way next month. ……..The biggest change, according to Dukes, is the requirement for using non-offset circle hooks during Governor's Cup tournaments. ……….the requirement is to improve the mortality rate of released billfish…..”

http://njstriper.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007556;p=
    “……….a writer who said that true circle hooks are not offset and the ones that are, are just as likely to gut hook a fish ……..some fisheries have gone to circle hook only regulations. Along with that, the regulations call for a limited degree of offset or not offset at all………..”

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0401_040401_TVturtle_2.html
    “……..data that proves that nonoffset circle hooks (flat circle hooks) reduced turtle bycatch,……..premature to recommend the offset circle hook,…….Intuitively, this hook appears to defeat the design advantage of the nonoffset circle hook……….”

3. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
  4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I use Gamakatsu 8/0 Octopus Circles which are slightly offset. I have yet to gut hook a fish that has taken the bait with any degree of commitment.
    The only fish I have hooked deep are small flatheads that swim up to the bait and just lay there and swallow it without moving.
    Perhaps in this case a non offset circle would enable the hook to be pulled up out of the gullet...W

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the links Griz, I just browsed for now, I'll read them later when I get time; gettin ready yo leave for FL for a few days.

This year was the first year that I used circle hooks and I was very pleased with the increased hook-ups on trot and limbline; some of the hooks were offset, some weren't, couldn't even tell you the brands right now, although I do know I had some 8/0 Gamatsu and some Circle Seas, and others; never had any gut hooked fish though.

I was just curious if this subject of offset vs. flat circle hooks was an issue with others. I actually hadn't thought about it till I read something on it.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use offset Gamakatsu 8.0 Octopus. The only possible way:

<Seems I read somewhere (i think it was a striper fishing site) that the offset kinda defeats the purpose of a circle because a lot of hookups don't occur in the mouth.>

is IF the hook is snelled improperly, with the line taken back through the wrong side of the eye when completing the snell. Then, the hook would not have it's magical hooking abilities because it would be angled the wrong way on the leader. As for the percentage of hookups in the mouth, I'd say that just as my hookup ratio is approximately 95&#37;, at least 90% of my hookups are in the mouth area, mostly the corner, some in the roof of the mouth. A properly tied snell knot is the key to the offsets I use working efficiently. Just thinking, this is a good point. We always talk about this hook or that's virtues, but we fail to mention the importance of a proper knot. No matter which offset hook you use, once again, an improperly tied snell will result in lots of misses. I know NOTHING about striper fishin', so the offsets might be a totally different ballgame with them. I haven't a clue.
    Bill in SC

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I can't say that any of my research has been scientific in any way on the circle hooks. I can say however that there have been upwards of a thousand catfish taken from mine and Cathooker's boats in the last 3 years and 99% have been on circle hooks. Not one single fish has ever been gut hooked. Only one fish has even been hooked in a place other than the mouth. It was a 41 pound fish that Cathooker somehow got hooked in the dorsal fin. About half of the hooks we use are offset circles and the other half have been flat circles of various brands.

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bill, I DID NOT know this! Might have alot to do with why I think circle's suck so bad - Another thing is... I'm an old dog. bla, bla, bla, LOL.
    I've never considered how the knot would effect function and never read it til now either.... Makes since.

9. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    All I use is offset circle hooks and I can honestly say that I have never guthooked a fish (yet:wink:.) Either way I think circles are much safer for the fish than J's for sure.

10. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Personally I like the offset but a circle in general will do for me. I used them on the salt and carried them over to catting.

12. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

So what is the proper way to snell an offset circle hook? Some have said if they are offset the only way they work proper is with a palomar knot. If You snell them Does the line go in through the front of the hook eye or back?

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Here's one way to snell Jay (thread on this forum):

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93465

Good questions; I'd also like someone to explain the forward or backward angled eyes vs. the straight eyes, what's the purpose?

14. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha, I've used offset hooks and have to say that I've never gut-hooked a fish. In fact I set the hook much like you would with a J-hook and had all of 'em set in the mouth. I think when the cat takes the bait the offset point catches in the mouth when he is crushing the bait and if he isnt hooked right then and there, then when he moves off the point will rotate to the jaw. I've even had decent sized channels (6-8 lbs) picked up the bait, stop, and sit there 2-3 minutes trying to work the hook out. If you didn't use offset hooks then you would have to wait for the cat to move off before he's hooked. Also I snell with the line coming through the eye from the back to the front (point) of the hook- with the Owner Mutu Lights it seems to work well. Thanks for the posts, lots of good info there.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

Randy, thanks very much for your input.

I Used both offset and 'flat' circles this year and never gut hooked a fish; in fact the fifty lber we caught on trotline ( and CPR'd) was hooked soundly in the corner of the jaw with an 8/0 Gama offset circle hook.

I just wanted some input from others that know more than me; and I got it. Thanks.