Another Brother's First Catfish-and a biggun!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by rednecksportsman511, Dec 23, 2005.

1. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    Last night I took two of my three brothers fishin, Mark and Sam. Sam had never caught a catfish. He had one play with his bait all night long, but we never could get it, he was real upset. So, I promised to take him today.

We went out today and about 30-40 minutes in, he wanted to go home, cuz nuthin was bitin. I explained how patience pays off with fishin, esp. catfishin. He decided to stay. Bout 5 minutes later, I looked over at my rod, and thought it had slipped off the bush I set it on (i asked fer pole holders for Xmas.) But then I noticed the line was taught. I ran over and picked it up, sure enough, FISH ON!!! I called over to Sam, handed him my rod, and told him to crank, crank, crank!!! Well, he caught his sleeve in the bail of the reel, then nearly took the handle off, I quickly fixed both, yankin his sleeve out and tightening the handle, and after almost a minute of fighting, we had him.

Meanwhile, Mom and my other two brothers Mark and Gus rand down from the house with a camera. We still had the fish in the shallows. I wasn't about to grab it by the mouth barehanded, and didnt wanna gill grab it cuz it was gonna be released and i couldnt get a good grip. Solution-Marks shirt, i wrapped it around my hand and grabbed him. I let mark wear my jacket. I'm really proud of Sam and I know it's sumthin he won't ever forget.

Attached Files:

2. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Nice catch, and great teamwork. That's what brothers do for each other. Hope you guys get plenty more big cats. Merry Christmas.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go, looks like you have a nice honey hole. Good luck w/ more of them!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a very nice fish, glad to see two brothers sharing the outdoors!

5. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thats an awsome story and something he will remember the rest of his life. Tell him congrates from all of us..

6. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Great story and also a great fish. You may have a fishing buddy for life now.

7. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Nothing pleases Me more then seeing Younger anglers having some good luck. Way to go guys, thats one real nice fish.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Yes you can bet your little brother will always remember that fish. And you for letting him have the fun of reeling it in..
    Way to go.'
    Pete

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I need a fish like that for my avatar Im jealous

10. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    A great catch and a great story! That is what it's all about, learning, sharing, and teamwork! May the New Year bring many more days like that!

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :eek:
    "Great Catch Guys" & just think it's going to get better! (think about it :rolleyes: ) :0a23:

Take It Easy Guys,
    Bert :cool:

12. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a heck of a first fish. You may never hear the end of it. lol

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Nice fish bro! Looks like a channel cat too.....and that would be one heck of a channel cat.....A trophy Channel Cat I believe....... :)

Take it easy, Zakk :)

14. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    nice catch there little brother keep up the good work and i bet your little brother is hooked now you wont be able to keep him at home

15. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Good Job Guys ! Keep it up Bro.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, come fishing with me this spring and we will get you a nice fish for your avitar!

17. catfishkiller35

catfishkiller35 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice first way to go

18. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    That is awsome. I bet he is hooked for life. I really like the pic where he is giving it the kiss. Did you guys get a weight on the fish? It looks pretty big.
    Congrats again to your lil' bro.
    David Frantz

19. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Great fish,Great memories,way to go guys!
    Ernie

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man, I wish I had a pond/lake like that out my backdoor! :)