Another Broken Graphite Rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Madtownangler, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I broke another graphite rod today. This is the fifth one since last year. I was pulling in a one pound bass and my Berkley Cherrywood seven foot medium spinning rod snapped off a foot from the tip top. This was my favorite rod for fishing in-line spinners and small plugs. Last year my home-built cabelas musky blank rod snapped off when a carp pulled on it. My four piece pack rod became a six piece pack rod when I snagged a carp in the tail. A few years ago I went to Canada with four rods....one was never used before. The tip broke off when I test the curvature. Another broke on the first cast. The tip broke off another after the first day. It left me with one rod for a week of fishing.

I'm down to three home-built graphite rods that haven't had tip-tops put on them yet, and two baitcasting rods. I am thinking about just using white fiberglass rods all the time and just buying garage sale graphite rods. I can throw my Cabelas King Kat rods and cheapy Hi-Tech rods out my second story window and just replace a couple guides and they'll be fine. Has anyone else had these problems with graphite? Some of the rods that have failed on me were $100 rods, so I'm not breaking junky rods.

2. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    i will give you some good advice.... take two weeks off from fishing then quit altogether!!:big_smile: jk dont have any real advice but maybe they are being weakened a lil here and there by stepping on them or something!! or if you got kids around!! my daddy used to have to keep em out of my hands!:roll_eyes:

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Graphite are good action rods for crappie, bass, trout, and the smaller species, but I never lift a fish out of the water with them. If your wanting a good action rod that wont break on you lifting a smaller fish out of the water, try the Ugly Stik Lites. Just my opinion. Good luck. :cool2:

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea i got to go with j on that one, but mr altone does good with his okuma solaris rods there all graphite, i wont buy one cause i abuse my gear alot in mud and cars, its just not practcal for me

5. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    check them and see if they were made in china. a few years ago when they first started making rods they were brittle and breaking left, right , and center. i broke 4 in a year span and that's when i found out about this. most rod companies will replace them the only company that didn't replace one of mine?....shakespere i broke a 8ft big water, but that's another story.

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have 7 G. Loomis bass rods and 1 St. Croix Legend Elite, average cost of too much $$$$ to admit.
    Worried about rod breakage I called G. Loomis, arguable the finest commercial rod engineering and manufcturing company in America.
    Tech told me the #1 reason for broken rods is tailgates and car doors.:smile2: This problem is easily solved with rod case.
    From a fishing perspective he told me the #2 reason for rods breaking was impact against hard surfaces, like smacking them against the edge of the boat, tailgate, workbench, etc. #3 was dead-stick landing.

For my typical bass fishing, graphite is the only acceptable rod. I do actively promote the Ugly Stik Lite (CA 1166-1M) as a channel cat rod if you don't need an overly long rod for casting, need to throw 2oz. weight, or use braid. These rods have very little graphite, and do not fish like graphite. They fish like fiberglass, if you could endure the weight, they'd be good for crankbaits.

I treat my graphite rods gently. And catfish with UglyStiks.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I had a rod break a couple years ago, but it was a light action rod and I had a pretty good size channel cat on it. Probably had been abused or scratched earlier. It broke about a foot from the tip.

8. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I am leaving the graphite rods for the bait fishing trips. I had an 11'6" Diawa Em cast 2 piece break at the joint while casting. I think fibeglass is the way to go for catfishing.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have used the same All-Star Rods for 20 years. I have not had one to break yet from fishing.
    Now from people sitting on them. then they break. I use mine for controlled drifting, and if your using a graphite rod right. There going to last you a lot of years. Do do not sit on one step on it or hit it against something and they last for years.
    Now there not going to take the abuse as a glass rod does. But then again if your using rod holders and not holding a rod. Glass is all you need. I hold my rod in my hand with 40 yards or more of line out when controlled drift fishing. So I have to have a light rod that allows me to feel everything my sinker and bait is doing.
    So if your rough on rods use glass, if you take care of them use Graphite.
    Pete

10. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    I am not one to "pamper" my rods. I've fished thick brush lined banks, to scaling rocky cliffs and steep shale banks while fishing. I HAVE broken my fair share of rods through the years, something like 10 in my life time. But I can honestly say I've never, ever broken one on a fish, or while actually fishing.

I fish graphite 99.9% of the time, I do have a collection of Ugly Stick Pro Lites that i use for the kids and pan fishing, but that's it for my glass. I have some composite rods as well if that counts. But I can't for the life of me see how some of you are breaking so many rods so easily.

I know many many friends who fish nothing but graphite, even sharking from shore. And still have never heard of the poor luck many of you are having with graphite. There has to be something your doing wrong to go through that many rods (while fishing) in that short of a time frame.

11. Promaxx

Promaxx New Member

State:
    maryland
    If you use the line size the rod calls for it shouldnt break ,if it does 99% manufactor error .I been fishing 35 yrs never ever broke a rod while fishing i have broke rods on ceiling fans,truck tailgates / steppin on um and such

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Reducing rod breakage by editor: Tom Kirkman.@ RodMaker Mag.

This are just some of what he recomends Custom rod builders to impart to the customers.That they should know

Tips

Never flex a rod by hand by pinchng it between your forefinger and thumb.

When flexing a rod by hand, flex the blank over its entire lenght, never just over a short area.

Never put more than a 90 degree flex into a fishing rod either while fighting or landing a fish.

A rods power is concentrated in the lower mid and butt sectios. Apply pressure against a fish by pulling with the lower mid nad butt areas of the rod, keeping your lifting and pumping action from between just under 0 degrees and up to about 45 to 50 degrees (8 to 10 o'clock).

When attempting to free your lure from a snag ,point the rod directly at the obstruction and hold the reel spool so it cannot slip. Pull straight back against the snag and do not put any flex into the rod.( exercize care , as a freed lure or weight can come at you like a bullet).

pay attention to the lie you use on any rod. The line should always be the weakest link in the chain, not the rod. Using a higher line test than recommended and applying maximum presure with it can easily break a rod.

Transport and store rods with reasonable amout of care. Quailty graphite rods are terribly strong but do not hold up well to bumps,bangs, scraps and other types of impact or abrasions. Rods that are subject to such abuse may not break at the time of impact, but rather fail a little later leaving the fisherman to beleive he did nothing to cause the break.:wink:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  13. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    VERY good advice, I see guy's flexing rods by the #1 no-no all the time, how can anyone possibly know how a rod flexes in just 2" of any part of the rod? My other peeve is placing the rod on the floor and deflecting it....do you ever fight a fish with a reverse load on a rod? I post a sign that states, you do these 2 things to a new rod....YOU just became the new owner!:eek:oooh:

14. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Plenty of far bigger far more powerful fish than catfish are caught on graphite all the time! I have several friends that do offshore fly fishing that have landed many powerful fish like makos and marlin. Guys fish flats for huge tarpon that are absolutely explosive and bigger than cats with graphite. On the flip side I know some guys who can brake their rods on 12" trout so with the proper misuse and poor care you can easily break anything.

Properly cared for and matched to the job at hand graphite can do anything glass can, my 2 cents.

Joel

15. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    the funny part of this whole thing is that I find many broken fishing rods laying around the lake ( I live in a city ) and have never found a broken fiberglass rod, only graphite. I have a whole stack of them and not a bottom section matches a top section in my entire collection. Some day I'll get lucky and build an entire free rod.

16. thudpucker

thudpucker New Member

State:
    Culman AL
    I've only had two broken rods in my life. Both last year, and both purchased from Cabela's. I've never had a F/glass rod break unless I 'helped' it along in its failure.

Cabelas people probably don't want to hear that, and they said they would evaluate it etc, but the shipping was on me.
    That shipping makes a free rod too expensive.:confused2:

17. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i broke 2 fiberglass rods in the last 5-6 years , one due to a major snag, which was my fault, the other i'm guessing from old age , the rod was about 25 years old ,seen better days i'm sure i have one composite rod which i use for trout etc so far so good, when it comes time for a new rod or two i'll go with fiberglass

18. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    well i have broken quite a few rods over the years and most of them were intentional. during my years on the casting tournament trail a lot of rod companies would send samples to see how they stood up and when it came to spinning rods i was the guy they were looking for. imagine the amount of stress placed on a rod to cast a sinker say 600ft if it can withstand a day or 2 of that then it'll be fine for the average caster. fishing wise the 4 i broke were all a direct result of companies going to chinese makers and graphite being new to them so i broke 2 breakaway ldx's one on a dare from a factory rep and the sinker was well the maximum casting weight, the other during a fishing tournament casting 4 and bait it broke(they replaced it) i had an okuma solaris break casting 4 and bait even thought it is rated 3-8 (they replaced it) i had a tica break during a fight with a fish(my fault) i was "high sticking) with braid which a definate no no but they replaced it, and i had an 8ft ugly stick break casting 4 and bait and i figured maybe over the 3 years i had it maybe it was fatigued from drop 8-10oz on head boats (rated1-6) and all the lite heaving i did with it finally killed it but when i called to ask about a replacement i was shooed away because the shop i bought it from was out of business and i could not get a receipt from them even thought i bought it with a credit card and found my monthly statement stating that and offered to send it with rod(even thought they used to have a lifetime warranty that was magically replaced with a 5 year one). fotunately another bait shop stepped in and helped me out. now as you can see sometimes it abuse isn't the reason a graphite rod breaks. and just to prove another point i broke an old fenwick surf hawk 5 (rated 4-16oz) a foot above the reel seat casting...you guessed it 4 and bait. and we won't even go into the testing for breakaway/allstar days.