Another boat sank in Mississippi River Aug, 1st.

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by SkipEye, Aug 4, 2008.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just read on a forum that a guy sank his boat in the Mississippi River at Caruthersville. Apparently he is alright because he personally made the post.

Same old story:

Got anchor rope caught up in motor, boat of course turned downstream with the stern upstream. Water poured into boat, sunk just like that and a person in a life-threatening situation.

He musta been wearing his lifejacket.:wink:

2. MossyBack

MossyBack New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have nothing but respect for you boys that fish the big rivers. They scare the crap out of me just driving over them. Good luck and stay safe.

3. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Glad he is safe! Big rivers need a lot of respect. One simple mistake could be the last one you ever make. I have seen a lot of boats on the Ohio that had no business being there. Too small or people new to boating that haven't a clue to what they are doing. The history of big rivers show that they do claim a lot of lives and have earned the need for respect though the years. The guy you speak of in this post is one lucky fellow for sure...

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Seemslike a lot of that has been happening lately. In someways I'm glad my boat motor isn't running Then again.
    Thank goodness the fellow came out ok.Boats can be replaced ,lives can't.Stay safe out there guys.

5. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Glad to hear the Man got out alright. I have been in that situation before on the Mississippi where the anchor rope got caught around the motor, swapped end faster than you can think and started goin down, lucky for me and my fishin partner I got the rope cut and it let us go Lucky. It happens very fast. You must respect those rivers, you never know whats coming downstream just a few feet under the surface, could be a whole tree!!!!!!!!! Always wear your PDF no matter how many years you have on a particular river. That little measure just might save your life someday. :wink:

6. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    thats why anytime you anchor keep a sharp knife next to the rope so you can cut yourself lose i would rather lose a anchor than my boat or my life

7. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    i try to keep a knife handy front and back of boat ,i have cut my share of roap

8. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I for sure learned something from this post. I am glad the fisherman made it okay. I do not fish rivers now but i will remember this post. thanks

9. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Sounds like another stupid incident. I would recommed in getting an anchor ball. As long as you can see the ball, you know that rope isn't going to end up in the prop. Seems to me like alot of these accidents are happening due to lack of experience. Just like the guys that went missing here last week. If they would've had a strong trolling motor with good batteries, or have at the least, thrown out an anchor and used a VHF, or cell phone, they might not have been in trouble. A buddy of mine used to be notorious for stuff like that. He'd just jump in his boat, half the time with the batteries dead, and head for the river. There were several nights we'd be out there with a rope attached to the flywheel trying to start that thing. These rivers are no place to be lazy. Spending the extra couple buck for good quality equipment, whether it be life jackets, vhf, anchor ball, ect, are always worth the price. You never know when they might save your life one day.:wink:

10. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Just ask Michael Jake about getting your rope caught in your prop. He might have came pretty close to losing it.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just an added note on anchor ball usage. There have been a few times for me that the anchor was stuck and did not dislodge on the first try. By then the ball is usually submerged, especially in swift current.

This is when you need to raise your motor immediately, OUT OF THE WATER and drift back down for another try. No need to panic, just do everything you can to minimize the chance of that rope getting caught on the motor. You will be underwater in a few seconds if things go bad on a BIG river in strong current.

Be safe and have fun out there!:wink:

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Would somebody explain exactly how one would get the rope caught in the prop?

13. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    If i had to guess it was probally from using a anchor ball? Ask Harold Dodd i think they flipped a boat using one? I'll use a break away ball but there is no way i will ever use a anchor ball theres just to much that can go wrong.

14. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    They might have drop anchor before the momentum of the boat stopped. The current must have push rope to the back while the prop was spinning.

Not that it would make much of a difference, but I throws my anchor far to the side and lets out alot of rope when setting up

15. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I find that putting the motor in neutral works pretty good.

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Improper use of an anchor buoy, throwing anchor in while still moving forward, having an anchor slip and firing up the motor to gain control, throwing anchor off the back, big gusts of wind pushing the boat forward, anchor not properly stowed falls overboard while running...... and probably a bunch of ways I didn't think of.

17. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    That's wild. I've been using one with Cuz for over a year now. When we take off, we always go to the left or right of the ball, and watch it rip down the rope, usually away from the boat. I'm pretty sure when Harold Dodd had his little incident, he free up rope to chase down a big fish, and when he motored back up, somehow the rope got caught in his prop.:wink:

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Man, I will always just PULL up my own anchor! It is good exercise and should be considered "athletic training" to get you into shape for reeling in all them pigs!

19. reloader1220_270

reloader1220_270 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dude if i had the chance to fish that river i would call in sick

20. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I agree 100%