Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually cut gills at a 45 degree angle from the top of the head to just infront of the anal orifice. the head end gets put on the hook and the rest discarded. this leaves all the "good stuff" as the bait and it leaks juices from the guts pretty well. If I want smaller baits then I just flop a whole gill down and cut into 3/4 to 1 1/2 inch wide strips staight through the whole body,skin on both sides,guts in the hole, put on hook and make sure no scales are on the hook and toss it out, never had a problem this way. I always leave the skin on it helps hold eveything together and on the hook

· Registered
224 Posts
I would never use a eye for catfish bait it goes straight to the frying pan but gills i use either a whole gill with a puncture hole threw the gut sack or cut like don said which is killer for gar as well just slow roll the bait threw the upper water column and they tap it like a walleye hit but this is not them inhaling the bait you let it drop after that then they take it.
got to wait at least 10 Mississippi, so they get the bait in their mouth. works good for cats as well just use a slip set up. and thanks too don for the weights I can get into the brush piles i want to now. without using 3 sinkers lol.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
captains stardate 5-20-10 log. raining for past two days without stop. fishing conditions miserable. cold temps with highs of less than 60 degrees. officers and crew are being afflicted with some stange feeling of being cooped up to long, conditions desperate. had one clear day before rain started,spent it doing ship maintenence, rained for a couple days before that also. crew is having their last day of training today before summer break, today was the captains last chance to fly solo for awhile, if the rains don't ease up the captain may order all crewmembers to battlestations till decent weather prevails.

Dang I'm Bored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it hasn't quit raining for two days, the ponds I want to drop traps into require a soft dirt road being traveled,or now I should say soft mud road,yeah I have 4 wheel drive but I hate cleaning mud off of it,lol. I just completed my third fish trap I built for bait catching! what crappy weather!

· Premium Member
4,736 Posts
Don this dang rain will stop soon and you will get the ship righted and sailing smoothly. I will be off from driving the big yellow bus in a week(the wife BIG BULA thought i was having too much fun being retired) and I needed to do something to take up some of my spare time (Crazy Old Gal) Anyway I would like to fish with you sometime this summer if that would be acceptable.I can bring my boat it's an 18ft. Lund Alaskan.What You say Brother??? J.D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.